Picked up a 1948 Elgin 5.5

sludgeguy68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model no. 571.58621

My second outboard, first "antique" - excited to try and get this running again. Having only a forward gear sounds pretty interesting!

Supposedly it was sitting in a dry basement for the last 30 years... it looks pretty intact to me except for a knob and a spark plug boot so far. I pulled off the gas tank/cowling, and the carb for cleaning; I was going to wait for a manual but everything looked pretty straightforward.

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

Looks a lot better with some cleaning with a degreaser. I put some TWC3 in the spark plug holes and pulled the rope slowly - cylinders feel nice and free. Going to rent a compression tester soon and see what the numbers are.

It appears that the PO epoxied the slow speed packing nut on... the needle itself comes out and looks OK, so I'm hoping it won't affect anything. I guess it was difficult getting the packing nut air tight.

IMG_5712.jpg

There's also some pencil marks on the leg - plans for drilling four 1/8" holes above the water line... I wonder if there was an exhaust relief issue.

Been reading LeeRoy's page here, but I'm hoping I don't need to open up the powerhead, as I'm still pretty new to this.

Carb is cleaned, float looks great, just need to cut some new gaskets. Planning to check reeds, everything under the flywheel, cylinder head & gasket. I think there's some varnish in the gas tank and will clean that out as well.

Changing the impeller and gearcase grease sounds like a real PITA, but will give it my best, perhaps when I get a manual in my hands.