1947 Goodyear 2G2 by Gale Ignition- How does it work?

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice
DSCN0838.jpg

What should I check when inspecting the ignition components? I have tons of parts for the later 50's and 60's OMC ignition but it appears that maybe only the condensor is the same. The coil faces in instead of out and the points do not move when i rotate the shaft. Everything looks to be in remarkable shape- no cracked coils. But I do want to replace the spark plug wires. Should i tap out the coil from the plates and drop a brand new coil into the old plates? the current plug wires look to be sodered onto the coil. Any direction- link to a good resource would be appreciated.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1947 Goodyear 2G2 by Gale Ignition- How does it work?

Those older coils are remarkably reliable and rarely need replacing. I have replaced a few condensers over the years, though. Check to make sure the points plungers aren't stuck. Sometimes they can get gooped up with old grease and grime to the point where they won't move and bounce back. You can disassemble them for full cleaning...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If you just want to replace plug wires, remove the big, silver center piece, pull the coils and replace the wires with new, solid-wire-core wires (available at small engine shops). As CW said, clean the points carefully and other connections. Does it have spark?

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

DSCN0842.jpg

So I went and hillbillie rigged it before seing your responses because I didn't want to soder on the plug wires. The new coils have the screw on wire potential. Do you think this setup will work? Things to consider: the new coils are technically backwards but they must be this way for the wire to route in. The 3 wires coming out of the old coil are kind of a cluster. I can put it back to the way it was if this won' work.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

The new style coils are about 1/2 centimeter taller so it won't fit. I think I will use the old ones and crimp the plug wires on. thanks for the help. After taking it apart it is easier to see how it all works. One thing. What is the recommended gap on those springing points?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Those original coils are nearly bulletproof, seldom going bad unless abused.

90% of the problems with those magnetos is dirty, worn, greasy points. Take them apart and clean everything separately, and polish the contacts. Don't lose any of the many little insulators. Do one set at a time so you have a sample of how it goes back together. Gap is .020" at widest opening.

The plug wires are soldered to the coils. Not a problem replacing them if you know how to solder sensitive electronic parts. If you don't know how, or just think you do, you can damage the coils.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

see I don't know how to solder. thats why i wanted the screw on coils. So i am left with crimping as my only solution. yuk.