1947 2G2 5hp Goodyear Seabee

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice
I have the more primative version nothing like Johnson/ Evinrude. The whole leg appears to be one welded piece. ANyways I am going to inspect the lower unit/ rotor. What is the best way to get at this? That screw beneath the prop? Also how to add gear fluid. There are no fill and vent screws, just one single screw in the middle of where the two should be. Help appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1947 2G2 5hp Goodyear Seabee

The water pump is ahead (forward) of the propeller, not in the motor leg. Remove the prop to get at it. It is what is affectionally called a "wobbler" pump.

There should be a large grease fill plug on one side of the gearcase and a small round-head screw (vent) on the opposite side. It takes Lubriplate 105 grease, not oil.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the help. should be able to get somewhere on it now.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, this pump was commonly used on many older Gales and Johnsons, prior to 1953. Some of the smaller Scott/McCollochs used it too. The old TD's, TS's and HD's were the most common users, besides the Gales.. If they're not 100% up to par, then they don't work that well. Which stands the reason they were discontinued and the motors re-designed with the star type of impeller.

Vintage outboard parts sells some of these and so does Sea-Way Marine.

www.vintageoutboard.com
www.sea-way.com

If they can't help you, then I know a few more places that can. The best thing to do, is come up with a part number for it and you can probably cross reference it with one of the Johnson numbers.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

I am now removing the powerhead on this. There were 6 1/2 " nuts that I removed and two blade head screws remain. I can't get to the head of these screws because there is only about 1" of clearance and my right angled screw driver can't fit in the gap. If anyone has removed the powerhead on this model I would like to hear how. There must be another way.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Any particular reason why you're removing the powerhead? I thought you had a water pump issue

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

I figured it out, but anyways I wanted to take the powerhead off to make it easier to paint everything, especially since I could slide the clamp up and off.

I haven't tried to run it yet, but I'd assume that being 64 years old with no signs that it has been gone through- I should check the seal and condition of the lower unit, check the ignition for cracked coil and rotten wire, de-gunk the fuel system, and make sure the cooling channels are unobstructed before giving it a chance?

I got the 1947 Gale 2G2 Goodyear in a package deal with an Iowa farmer along with a 1964 lightwin johnson and a 1988 6hp Force for $125. I got rid of the Force (made by US Marine) right away because it seemed like a real Walmart special although it ran fine. The lightwin is fully restored and a cool machine. I saved the most difficult for last. Now to pop the flywheel off.

I actually pulled some of the threading out in the Johnson's flywheel by using a 3 bolt puller- then ended up giving up after heat, prying, and tapping on the shaft w/ a rubber mallet didn't work. I saw through the inspection window that the ignition components looked fine so I stopped before doing something really stupid.

secretariatslew

Seaman Apprentice

By the way, I definitely tried to sweep that bug off the screen

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I am now removing the powerhead on this. There were 6 1/2 " nuts that I removed and two blade head screws remain. I can't get to the head of these screws because there is only about 1" of clearance and my right angled screw driver can't fit in the gap. If anyone has removed the powerhead on this model I would like to hear how. There must be another way.

Well, it has been a long time, but I don't think the flat blade screws have to come out. Aren't they the ones that go down from above? The hold the adapter plate on and are removed after the powerhead is off. Should be just the nuts holding it on. And I'm thinking there are only four of them, but if you say six, it must be six.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I got the 1947 Gale 2G2 Goodyear in a package deal with an Iowa farmer along with a 1964 lightwin johnson and a 1988 6hp Force for $125. I got rid of the Force (made by US Marine) right away because it seemed like a real Walmart special although it ran fine. The lightwin is fully restored and a cool machine. I saved the most difficult for last. Now to pop the flywheel off.

What?? You got all these for $125 bucks?? WOW What a steal of a deal. The Lightwin alone is well worth what you paid for the whole deal. :D:D

I too have a 1947 Gale, but it's a monkey wards Sea King. Most likely still the same design though. I got mine along with a 1955 Johnson 5.5hp. A whopping $100 for both.