5 hp gale buccaneer outboard

jamehler

Recruit
Help i cant get this motor to run. i have followed all the instructions on how to start it but all i can get is it to try only when i am pullin the starter cord, i have bought a new power head for it that had great compression and was the same year as the old motor on it. i had been told that this motor used to be hard to start but i know people who have the same motor that can pull it a few times and get it to start right up. also i had the power head all apart when i first got it to clean it up, could it just be that if i put the pistons back in it wrong that that could be me problem. i cleaned the points up also and it has very strong spark on brand new spark plugs. any help would be great appreciated. Jacob Mehler

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5 hp gale buccaneer outboard

You had it all apart and you expect us to tell you what is wrong with it?

jamehler

Recruit

this aint my first time having a bot motor all apart or any motor for that matter. in fact i have successfully rebuilt diesel motors, lawn motors, hit and miss engines, boat motors, and many others. but thank you for the help. Jacob Mehler

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about my comment, but you did seem to indicate you didn't know which way the pistons go in.

jamehler

Recruit

im sorry for earlier i am a christian and a better person then that. and yes i am slightly confused about the pistons they are different then what i am use to messing with. just really need to know if the high side is suppose to be on the intake or exhaust side of the motor. also are these motors just this hard to start? or any info on how to start it, like a trick or tip would be greatly appreciated. Jacob Mehler

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well brother, I am a Christian too, but funny thing is God never told me which way pistons go. So here is how they go in ANY cross-flow 2-stroke:

Attachments

• 5 - 9 General Service Continued.jpg
    5 - 9 General Service Continued.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The steep side goes towards the intake ports. Dammit Frank, I love reading your posts. The humor always cracks me up. :D:D