Tanaka Gamefisher 3HP chokes out when I go to full throttle...any ideas?

mrshanno

Cadet
Hi guys

I got a Gamefisher 3HP aircooled outboard for my Watertender 9.4 dinghy. This is an air cooled 2 cycle engine. I ran it out of water when I first got it to test it out and it seemed to start and run fine, but today (a few months since I got it) was the first test on my boat under full load. It starts fine, idles fine, runs well at half throttle and low speeds...but when I try to take it to full throttle it starts to stall out very quickly and I have to back it off so it doesn't cut off.

The engine sat at least a few months with gas in it before I got it...When I got it I turned the fuel off and ran the fuel out of the carb. Here is what I previously did upon receiving the engine...I replaced the fuel lines, and installed a new petcock assembly. I also drained the old gas and added fresh gas/oil mix. I accidentally left the fuel shutoff valve open at the petcock assembly when adding new fuel, and the fuel flooded the carburetor and alot of fuel ran out of the choke plate into the air filter cleaner area.

I forgot to run the engine with the gas cap off, but I did remember to open the gas cap vent and it seems to work. It sounds like a carb problem, but do you guys have a tip on where to start? I plan to take the carb apart and clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Thanks for any help you can give

Shannon

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Tanaka Gamefisher 3HP chokes out when I go to full throttle...any ideas?

I've been running a Tanaka 3HP for 25+ years, sounds like you may have a fuel restriction in the hoses, petcock, or venting in the cap. If you flooded the motor by not cutting off the petcock, then remove spark plug and crank motor over to blow excess raw fuel out, clean the plug, re-install, and she should crank right up. Regarding the carb, not much to it, just float and needle valve, main carb needle, not much to go wrong but it won't hurt to check it over. Sounds like your problem is a fuel restriction, probably that troublesome little petcock, which I replaced with an all-plastic chain-saw type. Good Luck!

mrshanno

Cadet

Thanks guys... I think it must be a carb problem as I used a brand new petcock assembly...especially since when I added gas to the tank it flooded out of the carb at the choke plate/air cleaner.

robert graham

Admiral

That petcock has a rubber/plastic piece inside it that came get turned a bit and restrict fuel flow at higher RPM's. Are you sure your vent cap is open and venting properly, because on that small tank it really has to be open for motor to run properly. Good Luck!

robert graham

Admiral

When you remove the carb, take off the float bowl and make sure there's no trash or debris in that main jet/orifice, maybe blow it out with an air hose. I've never had a problem there with mine but your high RPM issues may point to a plugged main jet. Carb on that motor is dead simple so you don't have to worry about hurting anything.

mrshanno

Cadet

Thank you Robert...I will run the engine with the gas tank cap off to rule that out as a potential cause. If that doesn't work, I'll take the carb apart and clean it up. In addition to the main jet, I suspect there could be a problem with the float/needle seat, etc.

robert graham

Admiral

It's almost certainly a fuel flow problem, but depending on the age of your motor, maybe remove that little exhaust cover plate and check/decarbonize your exhaust port. A small file or knife can be used to scrape carbon that can build up there and restrict motor breathing. Once you get it running right, they're darn nice, dependable little motors! Good Luck!

jldean23

Seaman Apprentice

Hope you can help i just bought a gamefisher 3.0 and i want to make it in perfect running order what can i do since u have had it for awhile looking at it i didnt see a drain plug to check lower unit oil what bolt do u check fluid and which do u put fluid back in i just want it to run perfect im about to take most of it apart sand and repaint and have a printing shop make me more decals tanaka,ebay nor sears has the stickers no longer in stock im putting it on a 10ft inflatable pontoon for the river just want info to make it perfect and 50/1 ratio does it run best with that ratio or have you tried something diffrent any info will help thanks...

mrshanno

Cadet

jldean,

I haven't had it too long...perhaps Robert Graham can answer better but in my experience: the lower unit has three bolts. The bottom and top bolts are to take the gear plate off to drain the oil (be careful with gasket as I don't think they are available anymore). The "middle" bolt is for adding gear oil so its unlike most outboard lower units where you have two bolts (filling from the bottom one). According to the manual, you are supposed to add gear oil after removing the bolt/washer until it starts to overflow. I have had a hard time getting it to take a lot of oil at once because the hole is so small, and trying to add oil without it having another bolt to let air in, it can be difficult. Here is the owners manual by the way where it talks about it:
http://www.tanaka-usa.com/pdf/manuals/TOB-120_300.pdf

As for the oil ratio, it says use 50:1 ratio which I have done. The former owner of my gamefisher said he would recommend using 40:1 but not sure why. Perhaps because he told me he had to replace the piston/rings, etc.

jldean23

Seaman Apprentice

My gamefisher quit on me night before last i broke into to it lastnight had good spark like robert was saying i took the petcock off and carb to clean inside petcock there is a rubber piece that seals petcock when u turn it now i guess constant turning blocked it there in a hole in the middle of rubber to go to fuel line i guess constant turning lil bye lil filled it in i took small drill bit with my hand and got it unblocked if u take carb off man very simple carb there is a copper looking jet u will see it when u take off carb bowl i used a bread twisty tie took paper off to have plain wire it fits in their perfectly it was clogged a little but it was enough to make it not idle good if ur motor is restricited at high rpm it has to be fuel i would almost bet when u take petcock off undo screw on side petcock knob pulls right off mine had alot of residue on it if that piece has too much residue i took sand paper cleaned it up and blow with mouth on both the intake and outtake it should blow easy if not then u might have rubber stuck in it like mine was then check carb my jet was clogged clean bowl float etc mine runs like a top no missing now starts easy and idels real nice and lord was putting oil in the lower unit a pain in the butt if u change it watch cause i did this there are shims at the end off shaft that go on after the washer one fell in the floor the other stuck to bearring and i didnt know it but hope this helps i tackeled this on my own and it runs great.....

sadmemories20

Recruit

Hi guys

I got a Gamefisher 3HP aircooled outboard for my Watertender 9.4 dinghy. This is an air cooled 2 cycle engine. I ran it out of water when I first got it to test it out and it seemed to start and run fine, but today (a few months since I got it) was the first test on my boat under full load. It starts fine, idles fine, runs well at half throttle and low speeds...but when I try to take it to full throttle it starts to stall out very quickly and I have to back it off so it doesn't cut off.

The engine sat at least a few months with gas in it before I got it...When I got it I turned the fuel off and ran the fuel out of the carb. Here is what I previously did upon receiving the engine...I replaced the fuel lines, and installed a new petcock assembly. I also drained the old gas and added fresh gas/oil mix. I accidentally left the fuel shutoff valve open at the petcock assembly when adding new fuel, and the fuel flooded the carburetor and alot of fuel ran out of the choke plate into the air filter cleaner area.

I forgot to run the engine with the gas cap off, but I did remember to open the gas cap vent and it seems to work. It sounds like a carb problem, but do you guys have a tip on where to start? I plan to take the carb apart and clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Thanks for any help you can give

Shannon

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

robert graham

Admiral

Glad you got it fixed. Tanakas are very simple, easy to work on and dependable! Good Luck!

mrshanno

Cadet

Well guys...I took the carb apart today and cleaned it real well. The only part I didn't take out and clean was the idle adjustment screw. Afterwards, I took the boat out on the water, and it was still doing the same thing...it chokes out when I try to go full throttle. It starts great, runs great at idle and up to half throttle. I did run it with the gas cap off, and it still had the problem. It runs great even at full throttle out of the water, but under load on the water in the boat is when it has the problem.

I took the fuel filter bowl off the petcock and checked it out. The rubber gasket didn't appear to block the fuel...it's a brand new petcock assembly by the way. It still has the new fuel lines and new spark plug as well. I didn't take the spark plug out today though to look it over, I'll do that tomorrow. I also looked at where the muffler meets the exhaust manifold and didn't see any blockage.

I did mix the oil/gas a little rich at around 45:1 instead of 50:1 ( I used 3oz per gallon) but I don't think that would be messing it up.

Any other ideas?

M

mrcrabs

Any other ideas?

Ok lets see ah,:(its has been gotten hot and the crank seals are leaking, or you still got carb problems, I have one of these and I have no petcock, only a inline fuel shutoff, works like a charm.

mrshanno

Cadet

After thinking about it more last night, it sure does seem like a fuel restriction problem at high rpm's like some of you have mentioned. Even though I installed a new petcock, I think I'll replace it with an in-line fuel filter and in-line fuel cutoff switch just to be sure.

In addition, is it possible that the float arms height in the carb is not correct, therefore starving the engine at high rpms'?

M

mrcrabs

its all possable, although it struck me that you didn't remove the "idle adjustment screw" I'm no ace tanaka guru but if that screw is like the tecumseh carb idle screw theres a major fuel jet right there....ah...that needs to be cleaned.

mrshanno

Cadet

Ok guys, I cleaned the carb real well (soaked overnight, used carb cleaner, compressed air, etc) and replaced the stock petcock/fuel filter with a new separate fuel filter and fuel cutoff switch.

After this, I took the boat out to see how it would perform "under load", and it started great, idled great, ran great till half throttle but still bogged down at full throttle.

Just as a test, I took the air cleaner assembly off and wouldn't you know it, it ran great and at full throttle. After awhile though, it did cut off...I changed the spark plug and it ran great again for awhile, and then cut off. I think the spark plug was wet like it was getting flooded. I did mix the gas at 40:1 instead of 50:1 by the way.

Could this be getting too much air with the air cleaner assembly off? I used some generic Briggs and Stratton air cleaner foam in the assembly...could this have caused the engine to choke out at full throttle when it was installed?

thanks for any help you can give

M

mrcrabs

I have a Tanaka 3 hp and the last owner used one of those little automotive type clamp on cone air cleaners...in reality they need no air cleaner, just something to deflect water