1951-54 Gale Buccaneer D10B help

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this for $40 sight unseen. it came to me unassembled but the cowlings are all there. I'm a novice but I think we can get this bad boy running. Couple of issues/problems. 1) there apparently is a cable that goes from the gear shift lever down through and connects to the linkage, I guess. Right now when you move the gear shift lever and spin the flywheel, it still turns the prop. There is no cabel attached but I think there must supposed to be one there and when you move the lever it pulls up on the linkage taking it out of gear to neutral. Does anyone know?
2) How to you get the magneto off? I was able to get the flywheel off but how do you get the magento off? The spark plug wires are completely shot and need to be replaced but that requires getting the magneto off.
By the way, haven't hardly turned a wrench in my life but bought the book "Cheap Outboards" and this forum and feel really confident. thanks for all y'all do.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1951-54 Gale Buccaneer D10B help

The cable attaches to the neutral lever. Raising the lever pulls the cable upward. The bottom end of the cable is attached to a trip lever. Pulling the cable tilts the trip lever, and it then interferes with a tab on the upper end of the clutch spring. That causes the clutch spring to start to unwind, which makes it expand in diameter, losing its grip on the clutch hub. That's neutral. Lowering the neutral lever lowers the cable, tilting the trip lever the other way, freeing it from the clutch spring, which relaxes and contracts in diameter, re-gripping the clutch hub. That's forward gear. Note: It will not "shift" to neutral unless the motor is running, or at least cranking it over. As soon as it stops rotating, it goes back into gear.

Reverse is by spinning the whole motor around backwards.

There are 4 screws holding the magneto armature plate down. Two are through the coils, and two more between the coils and breaker points. Just loosen them several turns, it is not necessary to completely remove them. Then the armature plate will lift off.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

The cable attaches to the neutral lever. Raising the lever pulls the cable upward. The bottom end of the cable is attached to a trip lever. Pulling the cable tilts the trip lever, and it then interferes with a tab on the upper end of the clutch spring. That causes the clutch spring to start to unwind, which makes it expand in diameter, losing its grip on the clutch hub. That's neutral. Lowering the neutral lever lowers the cable, tilting the trip lever the other way, freeing it from the clutch spring, which relaxes and contracts in diameter, re-gripping the clutch hub. That's forward gear. Note: It will not "shift" to neutral unless the motor is running, or at least cranking it over. As soon as it stops rotating, it goes back into gear.

Reverse is by spinning the whole motor around backwards.

There are 4 screws holding the magneto armature plate down. Two are through the coils, and two more between the coils and breaker points. Just loosen them several turns, it is not necessary to completely remove them. Then the armature plate will lift off.

Thanks, F_R. Got the armature plate off. Do you think this is worth investing time and money into? I'd love to figure it out, get it working, and tool around on the lake with it. You don't have a sketch of the lever cable above, do you? thanks again.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Dumb question. What I should haw asked was do I need the lever to pursue grtting the motor to run since I can definitely get the cable done if it will run. I want to get points, plugsand condensers, new plug wires and a fuel line but don't want to if I'm chasing my tail

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Do a compression test...you're only chasing your tail if it has no compression. Those are stout little motors and good runners. All the tune-up parts...coils/point/condensors/plug wires will cost less than $75. The 51-54 Sea King guide/manual at www.acmeoutboards.com works for your motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are the coils cracked? Unless they have been replaced, they always are. You really are chasing your tail if they are and you don't replace them.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

The coils appear to be in great shape. We've replaced the plug wires and cleaned the points. I intend to replace points and condensors and coils if I can ensure that we'll get spark. Isn't the next step to test for spark and if I can get spark then go ahead and replace the items mentioned above? By the way, do you guys know the correct plug to put in? thanks.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know the torque to put on the flywheel nut? Also, i've ordered a manual but where do I order parts (points, condensor, etc) for this motor? thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Flywheel nut 40-45 ft/lbs
Get those parts right here at iboats. That is the OMC Universal Magneto, used on a bajillion single and twin cylinder OMC motors of the 1950's up into the 1970's. Don't see Buccaneer listed?? Think Johnson then. Your motor uses the same lower unit and magneto as the 1951-53 Johnson TN models. Most of the rest of it is different though.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Can't find the part on iboats that you suggest. There is no 1951-53 johnson tn 5 hp option that I can find. I am going to buy the tune up kit plus two coils for a 1966 fd20 johnson. Do you know if it's the same for the 5 hp gale? Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

18-5006 Tune-up kit. Includes two 18-5156 points sets & two 18-5199 condensers. Takes two 18-5181 coils.

Same as 5.5hp Johnson 1954-64.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

another dumb question(s)
1. I didn't pay attention when i took the coil screws out. Which hole does the long screw go into?
2. do the boots that come on the new coils where the spark plug wire goes into have to be kept on? old coils didn't have them and they go on a alot easier without them.
thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1. In the hole near the center. I double duties to hold the armature plate down.

2. Well, they are there to help prevent arcing out in the presence of moisture. Leave them out and they won't be any worse than original.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, F_R. I have just begun installing the new points, etc. There is a little vial of grease/graphite or something that came in the little clips bag. Do you guys know if that is necessary for something? Does it go on the insulation for the points? thanks.

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

OK....another dumb question. I used the vial of grease on the post that the points slip over (really was a dumb question, wasnt it?). Heading to the lake tomorrow to try this (basically) rebuilt magneto. New points, plug wires, coils and condesors. Going to pull on it to check for fire. Don't have internet access at the river. Anything specific I should know to check or be looking for before I head down there? thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the grease is to be smeared very sparingly on the breaker cam to lubricate the points' rubbing block. But it won't harm anything where you put it if you didn't slather it on in big globs.

You did torque the flywheel nut to 40-45 ft/lbs---didn't you?

Alsdad

Seaman Apprentice

F-R, I thought I did everything right but I did something wrong. I took the magneto to the lake, put it on the motor, put the flywheel on, set the points, and then tried to spin it just to see if I could get fire to the plugs. (I didn't set the flywheel with a torque wrench because I was just going to spin it enough to check for spark). anyway, when I didn't get spark, I took the flywheel back off. It was then that I saw then I had tore thee green wire going from the coil to the points. I also saw where the tension on the wire pulled up the points base. I apparently was supposed to tuck the wires away from the spinning flywheel? Total failure I think. I still have the original coils that I removed. Ill put one of those back on. Can you provide a cliff notes version of the steps so I don't make anymore dumb mistakes. Thank you.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well obviously you learned to route the wires correctly.

How about it, did you adjust the coils in/out so they align with the machined edges of the armature plate?

I don't mind answering a few questions, but when it comes to writing a service manual, that has already been done by other people. The Seloc 1300 manual sold by iboats is not perfect, but is plenty good enough for the novice. There is a lot of general basics in that book to study up on, that won't be covered in the expensive factory manuals.