Briggs and Stratton 5hp outboard won't run

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, this motor has got me red in the face. mainly from pulling on it. After fixing the last problem, I thought I'd clean it up and change the spark plug and now it won't run. It try to run but won't catch enough rpm to take off. It's got spark and gas, Ive check the ground, the stop switch, and even put the original plug in. Still it just sputters. Any Ideas would greatly be appreciated. Maybe one of you guys have had this problem. Thanks.........Robert

RRitt

Captain
Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp outboard won't run

A brand new motor is only $130. Take it to a lawnmower shop and if they want more than a few bucks to fix it then buy a new motor and bolt it onto the old gearcase. Some things in life are built to work perfectly until the day they are thrown away and replaced.

M

mrcrabs

sounds fuel related, those Briggs carbs for that engine seem to be of similar design to the Tecumseh carb, I would expect a sticky float needle if its not been run in awhile, also you may want to check just how good your spark is with a spark tester.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sheared flywheel key....................(????)

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys, I'll fiddle with it a little more, but I'm sticking to two stroke from now on.......Robert

RRitt

Captain

run a compression check. my manual says that if you set it on the ground sideways and all the oil drains out of crankcase that it causes permanent damage. Never gave it much thought, but they could have meant a bent valve. Didn't you say that the engine was locked up until you drained some oil?

I still say, "why bother". The whole point of putting a briggs on a boat is to eliminate tinkering. At some point you have to ask yourself if all those hours of tinkering are worth the $130 it costs to get complete new engine. IMO, if you want an engine to tinker with then buy an old merc or gamefisher or something.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

run a compression check. my manual says that if you set it on the ground sideways and all the oil drains out of crankcase that it causes permanent damage. Never gave it much thought, but they could have meant a bent valve. Didn't you say that the engine was locked up until you drained some oil?

Yeah, the owner's manual does say that, but I fail to see where the "permanent damage" comes from......as long as you refill the crankcase. It's no different than when you turn your lawn mower wrong side up to change the blade. You will either make a mess all over the floor, or you will hydro lock it. Neither is the end of the world. And it shouldn't bend a valve. However, there could be an unrelated valve problem. It also could have a blown head gasket. A compression test will tell. If compression is ok, my guess is still a sheared flywheel key. Especially if you have been "tinkering" with it.

robert graham

Admiral

Basically a lawn mower engine, usually fuel related issues, check gas tank, fuel pick-up tube screen, then carb float chamber, drain carb, etc. Hope you're using Stabil in your gas or you're always gonna have these plugged fuel system problems. Good Luck!

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Guys, this motor was running be fore I cleaned it up, I've been reading up and have notice a recurring theme with the rev limiter. One tripped it will put the motor in limp mode and make it impossible to start. Can it be run with the rev limiter disconnected? The manual is enigmatic about this. It gives a test of the neutral switch and kill switch, but doesn't sat squat about the rev limiter. A new cost $79 a new engine $140 . any feed back is appreciated. Thanks.......Robert

M

mrcrabs

I know nothing useful about this but I always said the Briggs and Stratton was the new Eska...many B&S's showing up on the market, cheap...maybe I need one???

Can it be run with the rev limiter disconnected?

you bettcha! but i would not advise it for safety's sake...

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Mrcrabs, I'll try it just for trouble shooting sakes. If it runs disconected, I'll know that it is the problem.........

RRitt

Captain

I know nothing useful about this but I always said the Briggs and Stratton was the new Eska...many B&S's showing up on the market, cheap...maybe I need one???

Its a disposable powerhead on an impeller-less gear leg. It is meant to be run in abusive situations like jumping beavers dams, plowing through swamps, and running up into shallow mudflats. If you enjoy tinkering there are probably better motors to buy since the base idea is to abuse it until it breaks and then throw it away.

The iron block - single cylinder - air cooled - four stroke format gives up a lot in weight and smoothness in order to achieve rugged durability in a disposable price tag. If you run your boat in a deep freshwater lake then an aluminum 2cylinder would probably work out a lot better.

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I got it running, RRIT, it's all in the challenge of making the darn thing run. The problem was the rev limiter chip was blow, causing it to go into limp mode. It won't start in limp mode. Briggs may have redesigned the new rev limiter to be more durable or it maybe good for a one time use. I'll use the engine as is and just idle it only out of water. Even a two stroke will blow if you give it wot with no load. If the motor goes it goes. The rev limiter is 2/3 rds of the price of a new motor. Everyones in put here was greatly appreciated.........Robert

M

mrcrabs

jumping beavers dams, plowing through swamps

that won't happen in this neck of the woods, beaver dams are protected around here and the swamps are protected areas for the most part.
I guess I'm fundamentally against destroying any wet lands with mud motors.
And besides I have a big ole Johnson for real fun:facepalm:

RRitt

Captain

that won't happen in this neck of the woods, beaver dams are protected around here and the swamps are protected areas for the most part.
I guess I'm fundamentally against destroying any wet lands with mud motors.
And besides I have a big ole Johnson for real fun:facepalm:

around these parts there are two types of boaters. Those that run aground and those that never go out.

There is barely even a clear disctinction between shore and ocean in a lot of places. The cypress turn to mangrove and then just gradually thin out as the water gradually turns from brown swamp to brackish to salt. Its not that you're aiming for stuff. Sometimes there just isn't anywhere else to go.

M

mrcrabs

Its not that you're aiming for stuff

yep, been there done it and i realize your conditions are far diffrent than mine...I think when I move down to Lake "walk in water" near lake Wales, I could use a completely air cooled rig, the lake is full of hydrilla...I'm thinking the briggs might be what I want down there.

RRitt

Captain

yep, been there done it and i realize your conditions are far diffrent than mine...I think when I move down to Lake "walk in water" near lake Wales, I could use a completely air cooled rig, the lake is full of hydrilla...I'm thinking the briggs might be what I want down there.

Maybe by the time you move down here somebody will be making a mud motor with more features. The local marinas are fighting them because there is no parts or service profits so it's tough to find them. But it is a clearly superior fit for skinny water. They just need enough sales volume to get a gearcase for bigger HP and a real muffler to tone down the noise.

If I wanted to sell boats in south florida I would get OldTtowne Canoe Co. to build a 16' long x 6' wide vee nose john with their 3layer plastic. Then I'd shoot 1/4" or so of chopped glass inside for noise and rigidity. With the Oldtowne outer shell it would probably even be stronger if you could fill the glass with air bubbles and shoot a top membrane - if that's possible - like the way they build layered composite structures. Give it a few live wells, cut a cooler into a seat, and then shoot the crossmembers full with floatation foam. No wooden stringer or anything like that to rot with age. Hang a 15HP tecumseh off the back and call it an oyster boat. If the price tag stayed under $3k it would be the best fishing boat going - by a mile. Of course the tourists would still want fancy boats to impress the neighbors. Boats that break every time they run aground. So the marinas could still make their money.