Briggs and Stratton 5hp outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I just picked up a aa0101-0005 Briggs outboard for next to nothing. The guy sold it to me cheap because the power head was locked up. I took it home and pulled the plug and pumped out about 3 ounces of oil. I put the plug back in, checked the oil and started it up. I smoked like the devil for about 45 seconds and finally burnt clean. It runs fine and i ordered the manual for tuning. I am curious as to know what year this motor was made. I have looked every where and can not find a year to model number chart. The only difference from a brand new motor is the placement of the kill switch. On my motor it is on the hood and on the new ones it's on the handle. Any info on this motor would greatly be appreciated. Thanks..........Robert

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Briggs and Stratton 5hp outboard

Thanks for the info FR, much appreciated!

RRitt

Captain

recheck the oil level. My owners manual says that if you lay it on the ground for long periods of time that the built in carry handle has to be pointing up. If not, then crankcase oil drains into compression chamber or something. Maybe that's what you had? If so, then you may need to add back the 3 ounces of oil after you get it all fixed up.

You can also make the motor run quiet by using copper pipe, a street 90, and a hose clamp to route the exhaust underwater. Yeah, yeah, yeah ... maybe it increases pollution. But exactly how much pollution can you actually put out from a motor that gets 30+ miles to the gallon?

Aqua SCRooster

Recruit

Just wanted to say thanks to F_R ... I have been searching and searching for this manual. You da man! :D

Jamontes

Cadet

I got my manual for free on Briggs website....a little late I know but just sharing.

Bigboyitm

Seaman

I just bought a Briggs and stratton from my brother and he couldn't find the manual for it. Thanks!

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the motor was layed on the wrong side. I've had the oil get in there too a few times. Always carry a socket wrench and extra oil if towing it on the back of the boat, even driving down curvy bumpy roads can cause this.

Apollo HT

Cadet
Rritt,

Could you help me out with how you modified the exhaust to go under water on a Briggs outboard?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ritb has left the bldg. He hasnt been on iboats in over 4yrs, not likely to get your post or reply.

Please take a look at the rules and avoid posting in inactive topics, after 90days w no new posts bu the ORIGINAL poster, consider a topic inactive and not to be posted to.

Closed

Apollo, Start a new topic about your Briggs

Status
Not open for further replies.