Martin 60

eskagen

Recruit
I am going to be selling a Martin 60 (I think the earlier version) with a stand. It is in good to excellent condition. I would appreciate any advice on pricing this. Ballpark figures are fine. Thank you very much!

eskagen

Recruit
Re: Martin 60

Sorry, I'm not savvy enough to troll for scams. I'm having a garage sale tomorrow, and just wanted to know what kind of a price to put on it. Obviously, this is not the web site to help.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I'm not savvy enough to troll for scams. I'm having a garage sale tomorrow, and just wanted to know what kind of a price to put on it. Obviously, this is not the web site to help.

Skippy was NOT just being a PIA! There is simply no way to evaluate an old motor without personally inspecting it and being knowledgeable on local demand in relationship to old outboards.

Even in the best of circumstances so few of one particular make and model are sold annually that it is virtually impossible to establish an average even if you COULD access that data.

Only the marketplace will determine value. Just remember that there were many thousands of old outboards sold, many still exist and few want to mess with them.

Put a price on it that you could live with and see if anyone wants it at that price. If not it's obviously too high for your local market. If the first person who sees it snaps it up without attempting to dicker then it was too cheap or he has been looking for that particular motor for a long time to satisfy a personal nostalgia itch.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or we could have said.
It is impossible to give you a good estimate of the value of your motor without a lot more information. Try craigslist, and E-bay in your area and see what motors of similar age and condition are selling for. You might also search tor antique outboard clubs and check there. Good luck with your garage sale.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Anyone who is blunt enough to discourge a fellow poster assuming scullduggery
that may not be there and further antagonizing things.Is a mean PIA.
The correct answer is to "check ebay,craigs list and or the swap sheet for similar motors.Keeping in mind condition is everything".Also typically a garage sale would probably produce 25 to 50% less than those venues.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I can't prove it but have experiuenced it I buy bikes to fix up.
I have purchased vintage bikes for as little as $8 that would sell for $100 bucks plus shipping on ebay.
A good quality mtn bike the other day that I told the woman was probably worth every bit of the $125 she was asking if on craigs list.I offered 75 and she said sure.
Deals like this happen routinely for me.
Answering Qs bluntly is just plain rude "just you" or not.
Driving people away with out an atempt to decently answer a Q is counter productive. And puts a bad light on Iboats. Believe it or not many people think we are representatives of iboats and guess what? we are.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sorry I din't see this thread earlier.

Sight unseen means we have no idea....LOL. But I can relay MY experience.

Three years ago I sold an excellent Martin 60 in running condition for 60 bucks. It went to an AOMCI member locally. That was a fair price for both he and I. It might have brought 150 at the time on ebay, but with the hassle of shipping it wasn't worth it.

Since then I have bought literally a dozen motors at garage sales for no more than 20 bucks each.

So, Eskagen, how much did you get for it?