Tanaka 1.2 starter pawl springs

null

Cadet
A bolt came out of the recoil starter assembly in my Sears 1.2 h.p. (TOB 12B)--in the process of bouncing around on the top of the flywheel it broke both of the starter pawl springs. These are flat-steel springs and no longer available (that I can find), and the newer models look like they use a coil spring in there instead.

Does anybody know if:
1. the size and threadpitch of the starter pawl bolts is the same, such that I could simply retrofit with the newer style? (seems way too simple)

2. I could do some drilling and put in coil springs to pull the pawls over?

3. Fashion new flat springs (bending and drilling appear to be problematic).

Any other suggestions welcome as could be.

Thanks,

Chris

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tanaka 1.2 starter pawl springs

A bolt came out of the recoil starter assembly in my Sears 1.2 h.p. (TOB 12B)--in the process of bouncing around on the top of the flywheel it broke both of the starter pawl springs. These are flat-steel springs and no longer available (that I can find), and the newer models look like they use a coil spring in there instead.

Does anybody know if:
1. the size and threadpitch of the starter pawl bolts is the same, such that I could simply retrofit with the newer style? (seems way too simple)

2. I could do some drilling and put in coil springs to pull the pawls over?

3. Fashion new flat springs (bending and drilling appear to be problematic).

Any other suggestions welcome as could be.

Thanks,

Chris

See 1.5 hp Tanaka thread below for parts source.

null

Cadet

Yes, sadly though neither Sears nor Tanaka offer the parts in question. They have the newer style with the coil torsion spring available, but not the flat spring.

Any suggestions for a work around are appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

M

mrcrabs

what is the sears model no.?

null

Cadet

"what is the sears model no.?"

Not terribly sure. The motor simply says "Air Cooled, Sears, Roebuck and Co." and "1.2 hp".

According to the Tanaka USA site "Tanaka TOB-12B, TOB-120, or Sears 58513 / 58613" but both of those Sears numbers show the coil torsion spring rather than the flat. Only the TOB-12B parts diagram show the flat springs, and they are not available any longer.

Thanks,

Chris

Drew_NL

Recruit

Did you ever find a good replacement for these. I have the same motor and need them myself.

M

mrcrabs

you can check the part numbers at the tanaka site, cross check the TOB 1.2 with the TOB 300 PDfs to see if the part number is the same.
http://tanakapowerequipment.com/index.php?

just as a side note, I was told a dozen times I couldn't get a new prop for my TOB 300 Tanaka, heck I even saw a used one sell for $50 on ebay...well one day I was frustrated chasing dead ends so I called Hitachi Koki usa and they actually checked there stock and had 2 new props in the warehouse...price sheet said $47 I paid $24 shipped to my door...

Drew_NL

Recruit

Sadly I will never know if they work as this person does not ship to Canada, and there is no way to contact him through ebay as he receives too many messages apparently. The Tanaka sites will not work for parts as the flat starter pawl spring was discontinued for a round torsional spring which I have but am unable to figure out how it works. I have thought of ordering all the surrounding parts and bolts as I figure something else must have changed to accomodate the change in the way the spring is designed. I do appreciate all your suggestions though.

robert graham

Admiral

A piece of spring steel wire and a couple of pairs of needle nose pliers and just make some springs.

Drew_NL

Recruit

I figure that is what I will end up doing if I cannot buy them. :)

robert graham

Admiral

If you can't find the spring steel stock at Ace Hardware or similar store, just ask to see their springs and pick one that looks sorta like the ones you need and modify/cut to fit.

Dayton China

Recruit

If you can't find the spring steel stock at Ace Hardware or similar store, just ask to see their springs and pick one that looks sorta like the ones you need and modify/cut to fit.

This is exactly what I did, and even did it on a small island in Thailand with very few options of springs. Just try and get a light weight spring with the same diameter coil as the shank piece that the spring sits on. cut the end of the spring, then bend the tab that goes into the rotor assembly. Cut enough spring that you have about 1.5 to coils around the shank and enough to bend an upper tab over the starter pawl.

As I side note since I live and work in China as a hobby I might try to find some places that parts that work, or willing to make some parts on small scale for those gamefisher / tanaka parts that seem to be in demand.