7.5 HP Sears Gamefisher

Fishstalker

Recruit
I'm planning to buy a 7.5 HP Sears Gamefisher outboard motor that hasn't been ran or serviced in 20 years. Would it be a wise decision to purchase this motor? Please let me know your advice.

Thank you.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 7.5 HP Sears Gamefisher

I'm planning to buy a 7.5 HP Sears Gamefisher outboard motor that hasn't been ran or serviced in 20 years. Would it be a wise decision to purchase this motor? Please let me know your advice.

That's what I think of as a "How high is 'up'" question. In other words there is no way to answer it accurately due to lack of information.

Was the engine properly treated with preservative fogging oil?

Was the tank & carb drained completely?

Was the lower unit drained and serviced with fresh gear lube?

Or was it leaned in a corner of garage, barn or shed with a leaky roof, gas left in it and water in the lower unit and just forgotten about for 2 decades?

See what I mean?

So only you are in a position to do the required due diligence research to make that decision and only you know to what extent you want to gamble the contents of your wallet.

Let us know how it turns out.

Fishstalker

Recruit

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to really look into the motor's history. I saw this on Craigslist and would like expert opinions about this motor before I actually purchase it. I didn't know what questions to ask about the motor, however, the owner said that after he used it (long ago), he hasn't touched it, but the motor has been covered since it was last used.

Here's the ad:

Outboard motor - $35 (North Hollywood)
7.5 HP Sears Gamefisher outboard motor. Estimate 15-20 years old. It used to run okay but hasn't been used in years. At the least it will need a tune up, possibly an impeller for the water pump.

Thanks again.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Outboard motor - $35 (North Hollywood)
7.5 HP Sears Gamefisher outboard motor. Estimate 15-20 years old. It used to run okay but hasn't been used in years. At the least it will need a tune up, possibly an impeller for the water pump.

And all new fuel lines, a complete fuel system cleaning from the vent in the gas cap to the crankcase, all seals in the lower unit, complete magneto system tune-up and certainly a waterpump rebuild.

But the price is reasonable IF it's not frozen solid.