Clinton outboard help!!! I know nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got a clinton outboard. Paid $25 for it. It looks a little rough, but I compression tested it. 100 psi. Good spark, shot some starting fluid and first pull it fired.

Besides that I know nothing. Where can you get parts? It is a M/n K7002107a
s/n 646117.

I don't know year, hp, nothing at all.

Should this have a gear shifter? As it doesn't

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Clinton outboard help!!! I know nothing

<It looks a little rough, but I compression tested it. 100 psi.>

That's good.

<--shot some starting fluid--->

That's bad! It has no lubrication in it and will actually remove any residual lube left in the engine. Get an old spray bottle and use pre-mix---which on that engine is supposed to be 48/1. 32/1 would be much safer!

<Besides that I know nothing. Where can you get parts? >

Try asking on the AOMCI board. I've seen the info there numerous times but failed to record it.

<http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember>

<I don't know year, hp, nothing at all.>

7 HP but I wasn't able to run down the year. Probably early-mid '70s.

<Should this have a gear shifter? As it doesn't>

No. Edit: (I think! But I'm NOT a Clinton expert!!!)

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know starting fluid is no good. I just wanted to see if it would kick over. Wasn't sure if it was gonna be a parts motor or not.

Anyway, like I said, no gear shifter but wel I pull it the prop does not turn. Is there a clutch drive or is my shifter missing?

M

mrcrabs

(edit)Sorry I some how did not see the model no., I'm getting old and blind and inattentive.

best regards
:(

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I don't see my serial range on that listing. I am guessing it is early 70's like the other guy said.

Anyway, I got it running on pre mix now. Seems to run pretty godd even though I only ran it about 30 seconds since I didn't see a mist coming from the front of the leg. I pulled the lower, need an impeller for sure.

i pulled the bottom of the lower unit as well. instead of gear oil it was full of dirt!!!

cleaned it all really good. My drive shaft spins easy now, so does the prop shaft. But, they do not spin together when I turn either. Am I missing something. It doesn't look like any kind of clutch or anything in there!!!

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

<My drive shaft spins easy now, so does the prop shaft. But, they do not spin together when I turn either. Am I missing something. It doesn't look like any kind of clutch or anything in there!>

Is the pin that secures the driven gear to the propshaft sheared? Are the gears intact? Are the splines on the pinion and driveshaft intact? Those are the only things I can think of that could prevent one gear driving the other.:confused:

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are 2 holes in the driven gear with nothing in them. However, when I spin the prop shaft I see no place to put a pin throuugh. i am confused!!!

xltom

Seaman

It's not a pin it's a inset screw hole. It uses a little allan key screw. I am working on this same motor. The clutch on mine attatches to the engine post with an inset screw and to the prop shaft with just notches in the top of the prop shaft like a gear. My serial is 647637 and it's a 1973 made for ward's. I bet yours is the same year.

If you don't get her running, I am searching for a clutch for this model.

djohnson1252

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Montgomery Ward Sea King 4 h/p manufactured by Clinton Engines Corp
Model# K400 1106 A
Serial# 521189
Type# 60 27204 R
I'd like to find out the year made and possibly a repair manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.