'58 35hp gale deluxe help.

fletcher123

Seaman
This motor needs a new ignition switch. previous owner had just a simple 2 wire push button for the starter wires but it has 6 wires running for original switch. anybody have a wiring diagram so i can wire up the right switch? there is what seems 2 black wires,2 green wires,1 white,1 brown. the motor is a 1958 gale 35hp... #35de10. thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: '58 35hp gale deluxe help.

As you may know your motor is closely related to the E/J motors.
It probably originally used a simple push button to start and a similar push button to choke.Choke or throttle to oclosed to stop. Most of these have a junction box containing the solinoid and voltage regulator if generator equipped.The ignition is self generated don't put 12volts to it.On my E/J schematic a green wire brings +12 from large + terminal on the solinoid to the + side of the starter and choke buttons.A black wire from st. sw.
sends +12 from sw to small terminal on solinoid.A black wire goes from other small terminal on solinoid to cutout sw thus to mercury sw to ground. red wire from cutout to magneto when mercury or cutout open they disable magneto and or solinoid.red wire goes from choke sw to choke solinoid.
Your 35 probably doesn't have a kill switch.It may have a cutout switch that closes to ground to kill the ignition in the event of a runaway. There also may be a mercury switch does the same in the event motor strikes something and flys up.
these two may have 2 black wires from the coils.
Later motors ground 2 black wires to turn off the ignition from the key.Never connect voltage to these wires.

fletcher123

Seaman

I think it may have had a generator at one time but think it was taken off. there's some wires that don't go anywhere at the motor and some in the junction box not hooked up and only 2 at the dash hooked up out of the six for the push button start. so far what i see is a black one that is disconnected and a large red one in the motor. motor starts up fine and actually took it out tonight to test it and boat has no leaks motor was running fine but could not get it maybe over 5 mph. after i got home i pulled the cover off and realized that it wasn't opening the butterfly up because linkage was adjusted almost as low as it could go. don't know why previous owner had it set there but maybe he detuned it for the kids to drive it around. taking her out again tomorrow to see what it can do and make sure motor is running good before i paint it. only thing i really want is to know what wires to use for kill switch so i don't have to walk back and choke the motor off. dash wires are 1 brown,2 black,1 white,2 green. currently white and 1 green are used for starting for the solenoid.

fletcher123

Seaman

Thank you very much for the diagram. It's exactly what i needed. what i can find is original wire harness out of motor is bad so previous owner ran new cables from the starter and alot of other wires are frayed and cut/broken so looks like i will have to spend a weekend rewiring so i can be able to hook everything up to be reliable and have to run new wires for kill switch and acc. just going to have to put in neutral and choke it for now until i get money to buy some spools of wire. thanks for everybody's help i really appreciate it and will recommend everybody i know to come here to this site to learn.

fletcher123

Seaman

update...well took it out tonight for the second time to see how it goes after found out throttle wasn't opening. it got up and went a lot better maybe 20 or so mph but there's other problems now every 10-15 seconds the motor will lerch like its jumping out of gear and back in right away seems to do it more at lower speed then higher not sure what it is maybe gears are worn or sloppy. think it could be suggested by a friend that the timing could be off.the motor doesn't seem to change rpm's when it's happening . hard to explain what it does but almost like you took the motor out of the water for a second and droped it back in. when it does do it the whole motor tweaks to the side. what do you guys think?

fletcher123

Seaman

Been reading alot here and seems it could be clutch dogs or not fully engaging in foward gear. it doesn't do it in reverse at same rpm's so thinking it's not gear related. I'm a newbie so don't know much about these lu's yet. could it be possible that the cable just needs to be adjusted more foward to engage more? to explain it better would be what other's on here say that it's like hitting something in the water like a log.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A worn clutch dog will jump out and immediatly back in and does feel like you hit something. It does it with a bang.

A slipping prop or cavitation does not bang, just slips lilke spinning the wheels of your car.

Worn shift linkage will wear out the clutch dog.
A worn clutch dog will beat the linkage to death.
It is rare that only the clutch dog is worn out that bad. It takes the gear with it.
You can't just fix one problem if you expect it to last.

fletcher123

Seaman

Fr would you know what the part numbers would be so i can look up one on ebay. clutch dog and gear set numbers to see if i can find nos or a good used 1 or know anybody that would have these at a reasonable price? #35de10B

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I replied to your PM. Need your e-mail address to send you the parts list.

fletcher123

Seaman

How easy is it to pull off lower unit on this? do i have to pull motor on this to get lower unit off? on this motor i see there is a small access cover that has access to shift rod coupling w/2 bolts. can i loosen or take out shift rod coupling bolt and remove the 4 or six screws holding leg on and just pull lower unit off? What i need to do is inspect gears and clutch dog and replace all seals and believe seal kit 18-2686 sierra is the one i need.

fletcher123

Seaman

and also i need to inspect water pump. it is working fine but want to check condition of impeller.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Remove one screw from the connector. Remove the bolts and pull it off.