1977 sears gamefisher. no spark / weak spark

97dodgeram

Recruit
i cant seem to figure this one out. It is the 15 horse game fisher. it has the solid state ignition. so it has no points. It has 2 coils by the spark plugs. The tom cylender has spark but it seems week? The bottom one i can see a faint spark every 20 pulls or so. Both coils are good cause i switched them around and i got the same thing. I took the fly wheel off and there were no corrosions on any contacts. I replaced the wire from under the fly wheel to the bottom cylender coil since it was in bad shape and it still does the same thing. I am very lost right now and can not figure this one out. It has not been run in a few years. Any help would be greatly appretiated. Thank you. Tom

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1977 sears gamefisher. no spark / weak spark

CDI Electronics makes a replacement stator for that engine. The original parts are absolutely no longer available. It is your only solution. About $250, and it's available here on iboats.com. Before taking this step, however, carefully assess the condition of the rest of the outboard. Check compression. Inspect the lower unit.

Why? Because $250 comes close to the value of your outboard. There's not much wrong with those Eska-based water-cooled engines. They're lightweight, quiet running, and powerful. But...the original solid state ignition system was either badly designed or a previous user cranked the engine with the wire to the external coils disconnected and fried it.

It's a substantial investment to fix that outboard, which is getting well up in years now. Think long and hard before putting that much money into it.

M

mrcrabs

I just talked to CDI, they do not rebuild the 9.9 or 15 hp solid state ignition, they only build all new, the 7.5 Eska Ted Williams solid state retail rebuild (only) is !!!!! drum roll.....228$$$ american semolians, :eek:

M

mrcrabs

Those 2 cylinder SSI come across ebay now and then

I like this quote from Ed Stoller.
probably a Tantalum type which are prone to failure and self healing.
I realise this has little to do with you 2 cylinder but you could get lucky and I would rather be lucky that rich any day. ;)
and for your reading pleasure...

http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/id9.html

97dodgeram

Recruit

Well thanks for the help. That would be the only thing that could be wrong? If it costs that much i will just forget about fixing it. Although its in pretty good shape. Looks to have very low hours on it. O well i guess you cant always win.

I just talked to CDI, they do not rebuild the 9.9 or 15 hp solid state ignition, they only build all new, the 7.5 Eska Ted Williams solid state retail rebuild (only) is !!!!! drum roll.....228$$$ american semolians, :eek:

That's odd, I just had one done for my 7.5 about 3 months ago for a little over $100, straight from CDI. I sent them my old one, and they rebuilt it and sent it back to me.

M

mrcrabs

I called CDI yesterday and thats the price they quoted me for a rebuild on my part no., a few months ago they had the rebuild listed on there site for 185$ but I couldn't find that link again, CDI did say that if I were a dealer for them or had a connection with a dealer I could get a much better price but wouldn't say what that would be...

CATransplant

Admiral

Well thanks for the help. That would be the only thing that could be wrong? If it costs that much i will just forget about fixing it. Although its in pretty good shape. Looks to have very low hours on it. O well i guess you cant always win.

You might be able to get your money back by selling parts on ebay. Lower units sell well, as do good cowlings, carbs, and other parts. Even the externally-mounted coils are hard to find, as are working recoil starters and just about everything else on that outboard.

In reality, it's probably worth more if sold in pieces than it is as a complete outboard.

97dodgeram

Recruit

Well with this motor i got it from a guy i know real well. he gave me the motor and told me to mess with it and see if i can get it running and if i like the motor he said i can buy it for a hundred bucks. So i think ill just give it back to him. ive got an evinrude 6 horse to get by with anyway. Thanks for all the help!

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well with this motor i got it from a guy i know real well. he gave me the motor and told me to mess with it and see if i can get it running and if i like the motor he said i can buy it for a hundred bucks. So i think ill just give it back to him. ive got an evinrude 6 horse to get by with anyway. Thanks for all the help!

Perhaps the following will help. It is from a short article I am still working on but the following part covers the electronic ignition system.
---------------------------------------------------
Most parts are still available from various sources----except for the *&^%$# NLA electronic ignition parts. Occasionally NOS electronic ignition parts appear on auction sites at prices quite often more that the market value of a healthy, good running model of the motor they fit. Failure of these parts seems predicated more on time elapsed since production than hours of use so even criminally over-priced NOS electronic ignition parts may fail almost as soon as installed. The only real question concerning the electronic ignition systems of the Tecumseh power-heads used on Eskas isn't 'if' they WILL fail but 'when'. IIRC BOTH of the watercooled models---the 9.9 & the 15 horse---were electronic ignition models as well as many others starting at some point in the '70s and sold under many brand-names other than Eska such as Sears/Ted Williams & Sea King.

Your 6 horse OMC is one of the finest and most user friendly outboards ever made---just enjoy it! Tom

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 9.9hp did the same thing. I removed flywheel, and cheched the magneto connections. I backed screws out, and retightened (to make a new connection). After doing that, I reasembled and it ran great. I also fixed a 7.5 that way. Worth a try.

M

mrcrabs

My 9.9hp did the same thing. I removed flywheel, and cheched the magneto connections. I backed screws out, and retightened (to make a new connection). After doing that, I reasembled and it ran great. I also fixed a 7.5 that way. Worth a try.

Ed Stoller recommends the same thing, when they fail it's usually the C1 capacitor, which does have a work around, http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/index.html and http://overnight-solutions.com
and this fellow dale colvert has a work around, you need firefox to see the whole site

paraord

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 66 evinrude 6hp and it runs great, not to mention parts are readily available

M

mrcrabs

I have several Johnson of various sizes and years but no real mechanical thrills there, I'm totally devoted to overcoming the limited woe's of the dependable Eska's SSI, and only post padding troll's try to degrade another man's pleasure's ;) its about helping the other guy regardless of brand or preference.