5hp Briggs and Stratton outboard won't start

kcc1414

Cadet
I bought a used 5 hp Briggs and Stratton outboard 2 weeks ago. It cranked first pull several times and ran fine. This past weekend I took it out and couldn't get it to start. It'll turn over fine, but it won't start. I've checked all fuel lines from the gas tank to the carb. The carb is getting gas. I've also drained and replaced the oil as well as taking the carb off and cleaning it. I'm afraid that when I was transporting it home some oil may have leaked and gotten somewhere that it shouldn't be. I didn't know at the time that this motor has to be leaned over in a certain position. I've also read that it could be a defective kill switch. How do I check this? Please help

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton outboard won't start

Pull spark plug, and give it a few tugs. Make sure that plug tip is touching the motor's metal. Do you have spark? If so, then pull off man overboard switch and retest. Spark should be gon with man overboard switch activated. I have a Briggs, and it has never failed me yet. I would consider making a stand of some sort so you don't have to deal with an oil mess everytime. Sure sounds like oil may have gotten on plug, and made it too wet to fire.

Coal

Cadet

Okay, I have finally found someone that has trouble starting their Briggs. I have had mine for 5 yrs and have had problems with it right from the start. The motor can sit in the garage on a stand all winter, and come spring I can hook up the fuel line and 1 to 2 pulls it will start right up and run fine. The problem is, when I get it on the boat and run it across the lake, shut it off by first putting it in neutral and then hitting the kill switch, then try to restart it, it won't start. It doesn't even sputter or backfire or anything. Now, this is not my first outboard, nor is it my first Briggs product, but, it is very frustrating to have to row back to the dock, with blisters on your hand from trying to start the motor. The blisters are not from rowing. I have contacted the Briggs people, and they recommended to adjust the neutral switch. I have done this, and the motor will start. Now, if this is the problem, how does it get out of adjustment? By just shifting from neutral to forward and back to neutral? Also, I have asked them if the motor should have spark in forward or reverse. Their reply was that it should have spark only in neutral when trying to start. I have spark in any gear, but the motor will not start until I play with the neutral switch adjustment. Crazy.
Does anyone know how to disconnect the neutral switch, to see if this is the problem?
Once the motor will start, it runs great.
Just maybe, we might be having the same problems. (sorry if I stole the thread)

M

mrcrabs

The blisters are not from rowing

I just never could warm up to a Briggs and Stratton. ;)