does any one know what a MARTIN brand o/b is? must 50's or earlyer?

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does any one know what a MARTIN brand o/b is? must 50's or earlyer?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: does any one know what a MARTIN brand o/b is? must 50's or earlyer?

Yes, Martin was built by the National Pressure Cooker Company. Do you have any pics of this fine specimen? A model and serial number would be very helpful too.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Russ Larson, in Nebraska, bought all the leftover parts when they quit building Martins. He is THE source of parts now.

BTW, National Pressure Cooker quit building them at the onset of the Korean war, when they went into military production.

http://www.martinoutboards.com/pricelist.htm

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I can believe that. I had an old Martin 75 in my collection once, years ago. As a matter of fact, Frank, I think it was built just before the Korean War. One thing I think is interesting about these motors, is the poppet valve set up, versus the reed valves. The one I had, ran pretty nice, even though it was missing the lower cowl and the neutral didn't work.:cool:

Wasn't there a fella that posted here a while back that picked up a 200 model?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, and he was thinking it may be worthless! Wonder how he made out with that?

The lower cowls are one of the things that are hard to find. I asked Russ if he has any thoughts of reproducing them. I think he may be kicking the idea around. He might have the original molds.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Those are nice smothe running motors. It would be good to see some of them on the water. I sold mine to a guy, who had his place flooded out, back in 1996. He wanted to have a boat and motor handy, incase the waters rose again. I think I got $100 out of it, as a running motor. It actually ran pretty good. It was running rough when I got it, but I somehow thought about pulling the intake manifold off and saw that an o-ring had came off of one of the poppet valves. I just put it back on and fired it up and it ran like a dream. It was in nice clean shape too, minus the lower cowl.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just thinking about it, the Larson operation must be one passed down through the generations. The guy that originally bought the product must be pretty old now. The guy I talked to was nowhere near that old. Grandson???

I mean, I remember when the Korean war started and I was a kid then. I'm 73 now.

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is a small martin 40" I will find out the model to day and get back on here, it sound like it might be worth replacing the pull cord to see if it runs, my grandpa was alway good about taking care of his boat motors before he died and I found it in his shed. grandma said I could have it. so cool. thanks guys.

jacksoldoutboards

Seaman Apprentice

The Martin was probably one of the smoothest running motors sold. This is my dad's old original 1953 and it still runs great. They have a sound of their own.