volvo penta Archimedes 3.9hp outboard motor

SWIFT HALF

Cadet
hi i have just got this old outboard brought as a runner but have just tested it in a test tank and found it not to seam very powerfull and on full throttle it seams to be chasing could it be the wrong mix as its been standing for a while the guy said . i could do with an owners manual if anyone can point me in the right direction as i dont know the corect mix and carb setup

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: volvo penta Archimedes 3.9hp outboard motor

Seems to be chasing? did you mean hunting?
Is it a twin? is it running on both cylinders.If its been sitting
you will need to go through the fuel system from tank to carb with attention to cleaning.Finding any info will be a challenge.Do a search on the net
Pretty sure you will find reference to the motor and in the text reference to mix,year other info stumbled on.Don't search too specific.
Do you have any idea of the age?Fuel mix doesn't affect performance except
to ruin the motor if too lean.
discount marine parts has a brief history listed.

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you ever get help with your motor?
these are single cylinder, loop charged, long shaft, air cooled motors, that have an alternator built in. by chasing, to mean finding the right idle speed? I had one and by all accounts it was a strong running motor and felt stronger then some 5 hp motors I've had. Are you using the onboard tank or a remote tank as the motor can be set up for either. If you've got a fat spark, then I suggest looking at the carb and fuel deliver. The spark plug has an unusual fitting, it's threaded, so check to make sure it go good contact with your spark plug.

fisherman15

Recruit

did you ever get help with your motor?
these are single cylinder, loop charged, long shaft, air cooled motors, that have an alternator built in. by chasing, to mean finding the right idle speed? I had one and by all accounts it was a strong running motor and felt stronger then some 5 hp motors I've had. Are you using the onboard tank or a remote tank as the motor can be set up for either. If you've got a fat spark, then I suggest looking at the carb and fuel deliver. The spark plug has an unusual fitting, it's threaded, so check to make sure it go good contact with your spark plug.
hi, is this the crescent 4hp you are talking about as these engines go by all sorts of names, monarch is one of them