old martin "20" ???'s Is the 20 more rare than the 40 or 60

89beretta

Cadet
I picked up a martin "20" at an estate sale mainly because i like messing around with the old time outboards but i have never heard of or ever seen a martin motor before. can someone tell me the hp of it and the approx. year. I had a couple peaople offer me alot more than i payed which makes me wonder what i have anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot. whats it worth and is it rare?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: old martin "20" ???'s Is the 20 more rare than the 40 or 60

It's rarer than the Martin 40 or 60, but there were a bunch of Martin motors made. They are good motors and very innovative for their time. Do an Internet search for George Martin for some interesting reading/background. I believe its a 2 hp, since the 40 is 4 hp and the 60 is 6 hp. Need a serial number to date it exactly. Russ Larson at www.martinoutboards.com can tell you a lot more and has a lot of Martin stuff.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Martin 20 is a 2 1/3 hp.Martins use mechanically operated poppet valve induction.No reed valves.The operation was financed by the National Pressure Cooker co.Unfort6unastely Martin was gone by 55.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Martin 20 is a 2 1/3 hp.Martins use mechanically operated poppet valve induction.No reed valves.The operation was financed by the National Pressure Cooker co.Unfort6unastely Martin was gone by 55.

Do you have the lower cowls? They are rare and valuable. The biggest problem with Martins is fuel leakage. More than one of them has gone up in flames.