• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Champion outboard, old... information?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion outboard, old... information?

I have my fathers very old Champion outboard motor. I don't know the year, but it is single cylinder with the visible flywheel on top... doubles as the rope starter. The decal with oiling, starting and running instructions on the side of the gas tank is mostly rubbed off and gone. Can anyone help with information about this engine (oil/gas ration, start/run instructions, and what the large lever with the button on it that goes underneath the flywheel is)? I can get the serial number off the motor later if that is needed to figure the year out. I have had no luck finding service information for this engine online besides the Old Outboard Book and an old engine forum that isn't free. Any information to help get me started would be appreciated!

Re: Champion outboard, old... information?

The lever on the front is the spark lever. Button is the kill switch.
    Model number will help identify. You can also get help at www.aomci.org

Comment

Post a model/serial number and I'll look it up for you...pix help, too.

Comment

Thanks for replying, steelespike and tmcalavy. The number stamped on the motor is S1D10189. Here are some pics of the motor. Any information is appreciated. The motor has compression and what looks like an original spark plug (Champion 7, Made In USA). I'd like to find the gas/oil mix and starting instructions. The sticker with this on the side is mostly rubbed off. The clothesline rope tied to the left side lift handle is dad's original pull-start rope. The piston moves freely and the motor was always dry stored in our garage. Thanks again for offering to kick in and help, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by tekboy46 View Post
          Thanks for replying, steelespike and tmcalavy. The number stamped on the motor is S1D10189. Here are some pics of the motor. Any information is appreciated. The motor has compression and what looks like an original spark plug (Champion 7, Made In USA). I'd like to find the gas/oil mix and starting instructions. The sticker with this on the side is mostly rubbed off. The clothesline rope tied to the left side lift handle is dad's original pull-start rope. The piston moves freely and the motor was always dry stored in our garage. Thanks again for offering to kick in and help, guys.

Hm.m.m.m, not often you can stump Peter Hunn's "The Old Outboard Book", but his list does not go back that far. His oldest is the model 1J, 4.2hp, 1946-47. You better go to www.aomci.org on this one.

Comment

Thanks for trying, FR. I'll slide over and sign up at aomci on their ask a member boards and see what they can come up with.

Comment

1938 single 2.9 hp takes a D16 spark plug, gapped at .025, point gap .018 and 16:1 fuel mix. Lubriplate 105 grease in the LU. Looks like a fun project.

Comment

Working...
              X