Sears Gamefisher (Eska) 9.9 HP

nay-aug

Cadet
Hello All,

Anybody have a repair/maintenance manual for this motor model no. 217-586251?

Would you be willing to look-up some information for me?

Regards, Al

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sears Gamefisher (Eska) 9.9 HP

I have an aftermarket manual I will try to help.You may want to use the pm at the top of the page.
You may find manuals at the library.Sure wouldn't hurt to post your problem right here.You may get 1/2 a dozen helpers.

nay-aug

Cadet

Thanks Steelespike,

I'm rebuilding my lower end and replacing the bearing on the drive shaft just below the water pump. It goes in the housing and is held in with a snap ring.
The old bearing had failed and I suspect it was in upside down. I have a second parts motor with a failed bearing also and it was in the same way. You would think I'd be satisfied with that having two sources. However, the Sears parts direct web site says " install with illustration down". If I understand that correctly, they mean the numbers on the bearing would go down. That's reversed from what was in both motors that I have? Also, both bearings in the motor's were failed. So that tells me something.

Could you look in your manual and try to confirm which way the bearing goes in? This is an angular contact thrust bearing and it is directional. I'd like to get it right the first time.

Any help, much appreciated.

Best regards, Al

nay-aug

Cadet

Thanks Steelespike,

I'm rebuilding my lower end and replacing the bearing on the drive shaft just below the water pump. It goes in the housing and is held in with a snap ring.
The old bearing had failed and I suspect it was in upside down. I have a second parts motor with a failed bearing also and it was in the same way. You would think I'd be satisfied with that having two sources. However, the Sears parts direct web site says " install with illustration down". If I understand that correctly, they mean the numbers on the bearing would go down. That's reversed from what was in both motors that I have? Also, both bearings in the motor's were failed. So that tells me something.

Could you look in your manual and try to confirm which way the bearing goes in? This is an angular contact thrust bearing and it is directional. I'd like to get it right the first time.

Any help, much appreciated.

Best regards, Al

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My manual says be sure to install bearing with the shielded side toward the water pump.

nay-aug

Cadet

Hello Steelespike,

That's another part of the mystery. Your the second person that told me this. The only problem is both motors did not have shielded bearings in them. They had angular contact thrust bearings installed, both the same number. That is what I purchased from the local bearing company. I asked them about a shielded bearing and they said "thrust bearings are not manufactured with shields". They could have sold me a shielded bearing to fit in the same space, but it would not have thrust capacity, it was just for radial loads. Any other thought's on this. Hopefully someone else can chime in as well. I'd hate to just guess at this!

Thanks for your help.

Best regards, Al

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would think the thrust would be upwards on the drive shaft so the bearing needs to be installed so it supports the thrust.If no seals perhaps you could find a thin seal that will fit between the bearing and the pump.

nay-aug

Cadet

Steelespike,

That's what I'm going to do! When the gears engage I believe the thrust is up as well.

Thanks for all your help!

Regards, Al