Sea King 3HP

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Sea King sold by Monkey Ward. #GG8962A. I have no idea what year it is. It needs a new plug (anyone know what #) and I replaced the cracked coil and plug wire. It is in surprisingly good condition so any Info would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some pictures when I get it cleaned up.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sea King 3HP

Well I got her cleaned up and checked over. I put some fresh gas in it and it fired right up. Sounds kinda funny being a 1 lunger. I'm gonna put her on the boat tomorrow after I get done running lines and see what it will do.

Picture029.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture028.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture027.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture030.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

babrowning

Recruit

Looks like you have a couple old strokers in there. Ive got one identicle to your sea king but its red and white. Its in very good condition and i would like to restore this old motor it dont need much so i think if i can come up with at least one extra of all the electrical parts and a couple carb kits i will be a very happy camper! But i do like your little motor its very cool and hope that baby stays running for a long time to come. If that little motor could talk can you just imagine the fishin holes that little motor has been to?

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

ah cool little motor. its got the early 50 johnson gas cap haha. I love the style of the motors of that age I'm gonna get one myself once I find a nice deal. You've got quite a collection!

freddyray21

Commander

1958 built by Gale will be for the most part just like the J/E of the same year. Don't know if there will be any differences really.

babrowning

Recruit

Does anyone know how hard it will be to find parts for a 1962 seaking 3h? Or how hard it will be to find new decals for this motor, i have all the decals on it but i want to resotore it and want to find out how i can get new decals. By the way im in Ofallon Mo.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

For parts, first get a parts book specific to the motor. Evinrude dealers can get some stuff. Ignition parts are available here at iboats.

Google American Outboard for decals.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Really not too much like the E/J motors basically shares only ignition parts.
it is a single has an oddball variable venturi carb,water pump under the prop.
Water pickup in the prop.Nice little motor that was basically unchanged from 50-63.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

yeah the gales have that weird ring shaped water pump instead of the normal finned type

babrowning

Recruit

So Evinrude will be the place to get parts? Who made these engines some sites say Montgomery ward and some say Chrysler. I havent done much to this motor yet i know the lower unit was dripping oil, and im hopeing there are no problems there yet need to get a closer look at that but i know its got spark and good compression only other thing i can tell is it has some old gas in it and has been in it for a couple of years. The old motor dosent need much just some TLC.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Motor was built by the Gale devision of OMC Ignition parts are similar to those in the E/J motors of similar years.The best prospects for other parts
is probably over at the Antique Outboard Motor Club www.aomci.org
Lower unit uses grease I believe lubriplate 105.Not outboard lube.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah the gales have that weird ring shaped water pump instead of the normal finned type

yeah. $26 shipped.

Not hard to get at all. and it'll take 5 minutes to change it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So Evinrude will be the place to get parts? Who made these engines some sites say Montgomery ward and some say Chrysler. I havent done much to this motor yet i know the lower unit was dripping oil, and im hopeing there are no problems there yet need to get a closer look at that but i know its got spark and good compression only other thing i can tell is it has some old gas in it and has been in it for a couple of years. The old motor dosent need much just some TLC.

It is a OMC Gale, NOT a Chrysler!!! I have owned several of them and still have one that I use. As I already said, Evinrude dealers can order whatever parts are still available. Don't expect everything to be available though. But you DO need to go to the dealer with part number in hand. Factory reprint parts books are available from www.outboardbooks.com

Best place to get a new impeller (properly called a "rotor") is Brian Wilcox http://www.dewdropimages.com/impellers/index.html

On the oil leak: Yes, Lubriplate 105 is the preferred grease, and no they won't hold oil. In fact they don't even do a good job of holding grease because the prop shaft seal is pressed into an Oilite bushing. Oilite bushings are porous and oil/thin grease runs right through them. Don't get the bright idea of using heavier grease...it will severely wear out the gears and bushings. I modify all of mine so that the seal presses into the pump housing instead of the bushing, stopping that lube leakage route. Oil/grease leaking into the water pump destroys the rubber impeller (rotor).

babrowning

Recruit

Ok well thank you all for your input and i will use this advice wisely. I was a boat mechanic in the marine corps, i went to there boat school in Court house bay at Camp lejune N.C. but only worked on 35 horse johnson motors. I just wanted to ask around and get some advice about this motor before i do anything to it. I appreaciate all the advice and will probably be back for more. I am headed to the website i was given to purchase the parts book specific to my motor thank you guys for all your help.