'94 Gamefisher 9.9 problem (timing/carb adjustment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary - k7gld

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '94 Sears Gamefisher 9.9 HP job (made by Mercury) that is sometimes erratic running down at trolling speeds. I have the owners manual that comes with it - and the motor has low hours and is in really nice shape.

But, the former owner got the throttle/ignition timing screwed up, and while I seem to have it pretty close to OK, I'd really like to know exactly the initial setup for all the related adjustments and throttle linkage, to get it back where it needs to be - and for that, I need a more detailed service/shop manual, or perhaps a good closeup look (picture or drawing) at an "undefiled" engine, to see where those basic settings are at idle.

Most important - and probably critical, is the position of the timing coil plate at idle in relation to the carb adjustment - both need to be properly syncronized for proper operation.

I might add, that the '94 15 HP Gamefisher seems identical to the 9.9 in nearly every detail - so related info from that model might be helpful as well.

Any help?

TIA

gary - k7gld

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '94 Gamefisher 9.9 problem (timing/carb adjustment)

HOOOKAyyyy, seems to be LOTS of Gamefisher owners here - lots of problems on a wide variety of issues, but precious FEW replies...:mad:

To make my own issue easier to understand, let me more accurately demonstrate with pictures. My problem is that the former owner of my '94 9.9, screwed up the carb idle and timing plate stop screw - leaving me with a motor in good physical, low hours condition - and with only the owners manual that is good, but not detailed enough for what I'm needing help with.

Here's a shot of where I currently have the carb roller set in relation to the ignition coil advance cam plate:

(click on pics to enlarge)

Here's the throttle advanced slightly, to show the rotation of the ignition coil cam plate - also, note the stamped mark at the beginning of the step/lobe of the cam plate where I currently have the carb roller set to at idle - that mark is obviously there for a reason, undoubtedly for indexing carb/cam plate adjustment - but how?

And, finally, here's the screwdriver adjustment that actually sets the idle/resting position of the cam plate, and with it, the idle position of the carb roller. There's LOTS of available travel adjustment in that cam plate - and obviously, lots of room for error and accompanying poor operation across the RPM band.

SO, can ANYONE here show, or tell me exactly where this adjustment needs to be - or perhaps where theirs is set - assuming their engine is running as it should at all speeds? C'mon guys, there's LOTS of these out there, surely SOMEONE can step forward with info!

gary - k7gld

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '94 Gamefisher 9.9 problem (timing/carb adjustment)

I had posted the original post in this thread also over in the Mercury section, seemed reasonable, since this particular Gamefisher was made by Mercury, even tho it carries the Gamefisher label - after all, I (mistakenly, apparently!) figured this board was primarily about HELPING folks in need - not merely a power trip for Moderators more interested in "rule enforcement" than actual assistance.

I received THIS response over there:

Duplicate posts are not welcome. See Other brands.

It wasn't as tho I had shotgunned the question across a great many forums - but rather only the *2* I thought most appropriate - and likely to produce a response.

AND, the thread was locked - a pity, since views and response in THIS section to my specific issue are non-existent, whereas the Merc section that ALSO applies to my motor, has decent turnover, and possible help in that forum seems quite likely. After all, HELP is what I came here for - and widest appropriate exposure to my issue, within reason, seems both reasonable and proper! :rolleyes:

To say I am disappointed and disgusted in so abrupt and insensitive treatment of my particular problem is an understatement! :mad:

Undoubtedly, THIS observation and criticism will meet the same reaction and display of "power trip and applied authority" - rather than help and application of common sense - as did the other, if so, so be it - if the Mod wants to lock or delete THIS thread - and perhaps ME with it - as well, have at it - actual assistance on what SHOULD be a rather simple issue and question seems pretty limited at best...:(

So long in advance - it was a brief and fruitless encounter at best - and I'll take my participation and question elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.