7hp Eska problem

Walleye5150

Cadet
Runs good but can't get any speed. Have it on 14ft Porta Bote me 210lbs, wife 110lbs, cooler, couple fishing poles and a small lure box we go about 2 to 3 mph full throttle the rpm comes up but we hardly move. I was thinking we should be at about 12 to 15 mph or more. With it out of the water, engine on a stand I put it in gear and I can spin the prop the direction the engine turns it with my hand is that normal or is there somthing slipping or do I need some carb work or is this normal for a under powered 7 hp single cylinder.

Walleye5150

Cadet
Re: 7hp Eska problem

Does anyone know how fast this will get my boat going, Briggs & Stratton 5HP 4-Stroke

wizzy214

Cadet

have you tried pressure testing it? should be around 100 or so.
it sounds like low compression.
and when turning the prop while in gear you should feel the compression build up, and get tight then release.

Walleye5150

Cadet

I have not pressure tested it yet but I'm going to soon. My brother has the tools to test it but he is 2 hrs away, soon as I go up there I'm going to have it tested. Seems like it does have good compression when pull starting it and turning the prop backward from what the engine spins it. It does have good compression. Maybe it is a spun hub but it don't look like it has a hub but I don't no much about these engines. Thanks for your reply

newjon2008

Recruit

I have a 7.5 eska gamefisher on a 12 ft. jon boat. My son and I fish on the wabash and with both of us at a total weight of 350 we are lucky to hit 5 mph. I wouldn't expect much more speed out of these. It is aggravating since it takes so long to get from point a to point b.

CATransplant

Admiral

You should be getting more speed than that from your Eska.

I don't know if that has a rubber hub, but I know it has a shear pin. Check that before doing anything else. Pull the prop and see if the shear pin is intact and properly seated. It is behind the prop and rests in a groove in the prop and through the prop shaft.

All of the 7hp Eskas have a coupling at the top of the driveshaft, too. It has a setscrew that attaches it to the driveshaft and a woodruff key that keys it to the engine shaft. Either of these can break or slip, causing the driveshaft not to turn properly. The parts are available. I believe it requires that you remove the powerhead, however, to replace them.

Check www.certifiedpartscorp.com for parts availability. You have to call the phone number at the website with your model number. If it's a Sears outboard, the parts are also available at www. searspartsdirect.com. Again, you'll need your model number.

Last edited: