7.5 HP Gamefisher outboard motor

Macwheel

Recruit
I have a 1984 model 217.586750 7.5 HP Gamefisher outboard engine.
The engine started immediately, but then within seconds started to smoke
(shut it down right away). The water pump impeller is probably bad.
Is there a source for these impellers and a repair manual for this problem?
I bought this engine new from Sears, have used it only twice in the 1980s in fresh water only, and have very few hours total on the engine.

If there are parts and repair manuals available I would like to take a shot at repairing the engine; however, since I am not a master mechanic on outboard engines, I am wondering if there are any reputable repair shops in the area for this type of engine? I live in southeastern PA.

Any help in the above areas would be appreciated.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 7.5 HP Gamefisher outboard motor

Where did this smoke come from? Before you try to find a mechanic (a difficult thing with this outboard), let's see if we can't help you figure out what's going on.

Actually, Sears still has most of the parts for your outboard. Go to www.searspartsdirect.com and put your model number into the form. They have impellers ignition parts, and more. Some stuff is discontinued, but common replacement parts are available. I'm shocked, actually.

Other parts will be available from www.certifiedpartscorp.com, if you call their phone number. This is an Eska-based outboard, with a Tecumseh engine. Lucky for you, they had discontinued the electronic ignition on this model and returned to a normal magneto ignition. Even the coil is still available, along with the points.

The engine is air-cooled, with an impeller used to pump water to cool the exhaust housing. It should have an RJ12Y Champion spark plug.

Even the owner's manual is still available. Warning: parts may seem expensive.

juchertf100

Recruit
Re: 7.5 HP Gamefisher outboard motor

i need a repair manual for a 7.5 gamefisher model number 217/58821
please help:confused: