Another Clinton outboard - seeking advice

wwaterman

Recruit
Hey folks,

Edit: I do know about CEPCO in Iowa :)

First time poster here. I've frequented woodenboatsvb.com for the past year or so after finishing a 14-foot wooden wherry - which is where I learned about your wonderful forum.

Anyway, I acquired an ol' Clinton j9 Chief that I want to get running. I paid $75 for it. Not too bad, not too good. I bet I could have got it for $50.

Since I don't have the proper fuel fitting - Does anyone have an extra out there? - to attach the hose to the fuel pump, I'm wondering about this whole switchin' to eska thing.

Is this something I can do on my own? I'm quite new to outboards. My wherry is supposed to be a pulling boat, but I really want to fix up this ol' engine and put her on.

I also am in need of seals around the shaft (between mount and shaft). Anyone got some?

I've attached pictures and the fuel fitting picture that I don't have the connector (from hose to fuel pump) for.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This picture/link should take you to the album.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another Clinton outboard - seeking advice

Try eskaman.com

pellasaws

Cadet

eskaman2008 is on ebay at sanfordsgoodies

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Some Clintons use a Chrysler fitting available at iboats both male and female
should be available and could certainly be adapted to use on any motor.
It's hard to argue with a motor for $75.Unfortunately the Clinton is not the best choice though again $75.I wouldn't put any large amounts of money into it.You will find it is noisey,vibrates and requires some tinkering to keep operating. You might find seals at an industrial supply where you can get seals and bearings by bringing them the seal and the piece it goes in.They can usually size them.
An excellent choice for a motor for that wonderful boat would be the Evinrude/Johnson 3 hp. JW series they were in production forever beginning in 52.New and used parts are readily available some right here at iboats.Smooth,Quiet,reliable and easy to work on.You see them on ebay
all the time any where from $100 on up depending on condition.There are a number there right now.

wwaterman

Recruit

I hear ya about Clinton motors being POS's.

However, it was a deal.

Tinkering, eh? Do they overheat quite a bit?

Anybody know what specific problems they have?