81 Chrysler Sea King cooling question

XJMikey

Cadet
Whats up guys!

I am experienced when it comes to auto mechanics especially jeeps, but I am pretty new to outboards. Anyway, I have not taken my motor out on the water yet (1981 Chrysler 7.5hp Sea King). I have run it on its stand with the device that you hook the hose up to and also in a barrel with water. I do not see any water coming out of the two holes that appear to be for the water.

I took the lower unit off to look at the impeller. It seems OK, but then again, thats the first impeller I have ever seen. :eek: The gear oil looked very clean, so I put the lower unit back together. Before putting the lower unit back on, I used the garden hose to spray water up the tube that connected to the impeller unit. Water came out of the two holes where I thought it would, so there does not seem to be any obstruction there.

I put it all back together and fired it up. (By the way, usually fires up on second pull:)) There again was no water coming out, so I shut it down. I only having been running it about thirty seconds at a time or so because I do not want it to get hot. It does not have signs of being hot, like paint peeling off the power head or anything obvious like that though. Is it possible that the water, if being pumped at all, is just going down the leg where the exhaust exits underwater? Does the impeller pump at a rate well enough to make a "pee stream"?

Also, am I right in assuming the exhaust exits out through the leg of the motor without an exhaust pipe?

Its all very new to me, but from my jeep experience, I did track down and buy a factory service manual for the outboard. Usually those are the best when it comes to working on stuff.

I also am going to buy a new impeller from AAA outboard because apparently that is an annual maintenence item anyway.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 81 Chrysler Sea King cooling question

Check the water intake mud daubers love to build in there.Test it in a barrel
with the water as high up the leg as possible.I usually put the barrel up against the mount bracket and fill it to the top.Exhaust comes out the outlet above and to the rear the prop.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Running on hose muffs is not a water pump test. Hose pressure will force water through the pump even if the impeller were to be completely missing.

To test the pump you need to either put it in a barrel deep enough to submerge the pump before starting, or put it on a boat in the lake.

sdpuff62168

Cadet

its the cheapest set up in the world, weather effective or not is something an engine designer thought of years ago. your not going to get a steady stream of pee water. you will get a mist at the 2 hole up top with a majority of the water comming out the bottm exhaust by the prop. there is no exhaust tube it just blows down the housing. you only have a water tube and a drive shaft thats it. water goes up the tube and sprays the top with water and it runs out. thats it.very ingenious. mine runs good and pushes us up the river with no problems. we fish the ogeechee river in bryan county ga. even with river running strong its still a good motor. if your a lawnmower mechanic you should have no problem making this motor last forever:)