Montgomery Ward 7.5 Question

LXIX

Cadet
I found this website as I was researching a purchase I made at a local garage sale.

I picked up an inflatable and a Montgomery Ward Engine for $30.00. The engine has a plate on it that says the following:

Clinton Engine Corp
Maquaketa, IA
Model #XTV 50407 B
Type K 751 6107A

Can anyone tell me what year is this engine is? Is it truely a 7.5 horse?

I have not run the engine yet and figured for 30 clams even if it doesn't work I still got an inflatable out of the deal. Are these tough engines to work on and where would you reccomend that I go to purchase a manual?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Brian

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Montgomery Ward 7.5 Question

Welcome to iboats. :)

It's probably KTV (Sea King) instead of XTV, but even then I'm having no luck with that model number. K751s (Clinton) were made from 1976-80. KTV-50507 would narrow that down to 1978-80. There would be little difference between any of them anyhow. Compared to mainstream 7.5s, it's not going to keep up. Clinton no longer exists and parts and service information will be tough to find. Ebay?

Helluva deal though. You could scrap out the motor and recover much of that thirty bucks if nothing else, and still have a free or nearly free inflatable. Maybe you'll get lucky and get it running. Worth a shot, nothing to lose. Use chainsaw oil instead of outboard oil.

My mother had a preacher cousin in Maquoketa. I recall a few visits as a lad. Personality-wise, he was a dead ringer for Willard Scott.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

CEPCO (formerly Clinton Engines) 605 E maple Maquoketa, Iowa 52060. If you phone you may get info with contact info. Be patient. Ph 563-652-2411. FAX 563-652-3427.

LXIX

Cadet

Thanks guys for the info. If you don't mind, I have a few other questions.

After pulling the head and decarboning the piston and head I was able to get it to start and run. So I'm pleased with my $30 investment. My questions are as follows:

1.) After it starts there's a ton of smoke that after it runs for about 5 minutes starts to disappear. Is this just normal with a 2 cycle engine?

2.) Is there anything I should do to the lower 1/2 of the motor (lube adjustments, etc) or are these things pretty bulletproof?

3.) On this engine it has a Rich-Lean Knob. On any of my other 2 cycle engines I don't have such a knob (none are 7.5 hp though, I'm speaking of my weed eater and yard blower though). I adjusted it so that it will still idle and not die at the lowest throttle setting, it this the correct setting?

4.) On what occasion would I ever have to change my Rich-Lean setting (for weather changes)?

I had it running in a trash can filled with water. It seemed to work well there both in Neutral and Forward. I'm hoping it does as well on my inflatable when I stick my 260 lb. butt in it.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Brian

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Smoke is a fact of life. Live with it.

Lube in lower unit gearcase. Can't remember the details on that particular motor, but it needs it.

Betcha your wedeater and chainsaw have adjustments, they just are not sticking out in your face to see and worry about. Set it for best idle like you have and forget about it. May have to give it a slight tweak in real cold weather or if you take it to the mountains

Put your butt in the boat and go for a ride.

RBrown3

Recruit

Hi,

I've got almost this exact same engine except my model # is 50507B. My engine will start up relatively quick and painless and seems to run decent in idle until it warms up, once warm it will start to predetonate and knock itself slower and slower almost to death. It can run in idle for quite a while but if i put it in gear and rev it up it will start to knock really soon and then sputter itself out. Right after this start up is still no problem but it will keep with the knocking till it dies.

Other than that issue it seems to run strong when it decides to rev up all the way. How do i fix this timing isssue? or is it a timing issue? Also, why use chainsaw oil instead of outboard oil?

Thanks,
Reid