2 outboard ids please

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
2 outboard ids please

I just bought these and need info on them.
The year made, mix ratio, hp, or any pics someone might have would be great.

Sears
Model# 217-59430
Serial # 157307
Motor tag # T-643-14a

Wards Sea King
Model# j2001106a (First 1 looks like lower case L)
Serial# 330383
Type# 60-27002R

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 2 outboard ids please

The Sears motor is a 5.5 hp air-cooled model made by Eska. It has a water-cooled exhaust with water pumped by an impeller and an on/off clutch.

It's a 1971 model. Tecumseh carburetor. These motors call for a 16:1 fuel oil mix, using the same type of oil as used in chainsaws and other aircooled engines.

You can see parts diagrams and lists at:
ww3.sears.com and entering the model number like this:

Some parts for that motor are available from Sears at that site.

-------------------------------------------
I could find less on the monkey wards outboard. From the model number, it is an air-cooled model made by Clinton. There may be another model number on it somewhere, since the j200nnnn is a Clinton number. Look for a number beginning with KTV. It's either a 2hp or 2.5 hp. Same fuel/oil mix as the other one. Parts will be very hard to come by for the Clinton.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'm kinda lost on the Sea King too. Closest I can come is a 1970 Clinton 2Hp, but I'm far from convinced. Most Wards model numbers start with two or three letters. Look for...
GG-Gale
KTV-Clinton
VWB-Chrysler/Force
CED-Eska

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where would that number be?

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I see clinton on the tag

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

www dot discount-marine-parts dot com is where I get most of my off-brand info. Click the arrow next to Outboard Motors and select the brand. A J200 is a 1970 2Hp Clinton. Model numbers are usually somewhere on the clamp bracket that hangs the motor on the boat, but that's only a general rule.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help, I will definately look there.
Here are some pics.
It looks clean and has good compression, but as you can see the carb and gas tank are missing.
Is there any carbs that would interchange and work on this motor or do I have to find an original one for this model number?
Any Ideas on where to find manuals for this motor?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• S7000217b.JPG
    S7000217b.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 0
  • S7000215b.JPG
    S7000215b.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

Thanks for the help, I will definately look there.
Here are some pics.
It looks clean and has good compression, but as you can see the carb and gas tank are missing.
Is there any carbs that would interchange and work on this motor or do I have to find an original one for this model number?
Any Ideas on where to find manuals for this motor?
Thanks again.

Hmm...there's a manual that covers a lot of small engines, but I can't think of the title right offhand.

Here's the deal, though: Unless there's some sentimental value in trying to fix this old Sea King, it's probably not worth the trouble. The missing carb and fuel tank may well indicate that it has already reached the status of a parts motor.

Watch eBay closely for Sea King outboards. One like yours will turn up before too much time passes. It should go cheaply. You might consider buying it, then figuring out which has the best parts and trying to get a single running motor out of the two.

I've gotten several little Clinton and Eska motors running again that way. Mostly, they're still not worth much, if anything. As outboards, they're noisy, they vibrate like crazy, and aren't really worth rescuing, in my opinion.

That said, I use a 9.9hp Eska-based Sears outboard. But, it's a two-cylinder, watercooled engine, and is pretty smooth. It's a decent little outboard. My backup (and you must have one with these off-brand jobbers) is a 5 hp Sears, that is also a Clinton. They work, but one that's missing a carb is pretty much a lost cause.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I dont see this one as hopeless. It looks like someone pulled the carb to clean it and lost interest. The skeg and prop on it are perfect and compression is awesome. I am not trying to restore it or get rich selling it, so a gas tank could be a adapted, but the carb is a different story.
Assuming the carbs bolted up the same, Does anyone think the carb from the 5.5 hp Gamefisher of the same year would work or would I experience flooding or idling problems?

CATransplant

Admiral

The carb for the 5hp is too large for your little 2hp tiddler. However, you may be able to find a carb that will fit, from another small engine. You said this was a Clinton J200-based unit, I believe.

Measure the distance between the centers of the carb mounting studs. Measure the diameter of the throat opening. The carb is almost certainly a Tecumseh on that engine.

Next, head on down to the nearest small engine repair place and tell them your story. Likely, a carb with the same throat diameter and mounting dimensions was also used on some lawnmower or tiller engine. If the small engine guy is feeling friendly, he might help you figure something out.

Linkages, etc., however, will probably be somewhat different, so you'll have a bit of an engineering problem to solve, but small diameter brass wire bends up good into linkages and the like.

Or...you could park on eBay for a while and maybe find an exact replacement carb. Or you could go to the AOMCI.ORG site and post a want ad, seeking both the carb and fuel tank for your engine. If you find a carb that way, you'll have to hunt up a carb kit for it, and the folks at Discount Marine might be able to help you.

I didn't remember if you said you had spark on this engine along with the compression. If so, that's a good thing. If not, your problems will be more extensive and you'll have to find other parts.

The other option is to watch eBay for another outboard of this model, then build one out of two. That's often the best approach.

I didn't mean to throw cold water on your project, but these things tend to take up a lot of time and can be frustrating.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the ideas.
I usually try to keep 3 projects going at once to combat the problems of finding parts and fabrication woes. I can always tinker with the Gamefisher first since it is complete(minus cowling). It isnt turning though and will require more disassembly. I am waiting on the manual for that one.
These motors are so addicting. I own a 1957 35hp Big Twin Electric start that runs great, these two, and an old 1952 3hp Sea Bee that also runs. I really like the ones under 5hp though.
I have a couple of boat junk yards close by, I will measure everything and see if they have something that might work and go from there. I had a moped carb that might of worked, but unfortunately I sold it 3 days before I bought these.Might have been cool with a twist grip throttle. Fabrications half the fun right?

CATransplant

Admiral

I just saw a manual and parts list for the Clinton J200 outboards over on eBay. It's on CD and cheap.

Search for clinton j-200 in eBay stores.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I already found one there and one for my eska/Gamefisher also.
I at least have a picture of what they are supposed to look like now.

Noahg1985

Recruit
OK I have a 98 9.9 gamefisher I put a new head on it and got it started I ran it in a bucket but I can seem to see an water come out so my stupid question is where is the pee hole and is there anywhere I can get parts online

Status
Not open for further replies.