Lauson Sport King

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently acquired a Lauson Sport King outboard that used to be my Dad's and my Uncle's. It is a 4 cycle and seems to be air cooled. It hasn't been run in almost 30 years. Besides changing the engine lubricant, is there anything else that I should do before trying to start it? Since it's air cooled, does it even need to be run in a test tank? I don't have a manual for it and my Dad and Uncles remember nothing about it.

CFORBERG

Cadet
Re: Lauson Sport King

Clean out the tank and fuel lines. I'd disassemble the carb and clean it, as well.<br /><br />Clean and gap the plugs and points, and let 'er rip!<br /><br />I'm not sure if the lower unit on the old Lauson is water cooled or not...I'd tank it, to be safe.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Lauson Sport King

Look at the lower unit. Do you see anything that look like water inlets there? How about the midsection? See any holes there that water might come out of?<br /><br />If so, run it in a tank. If the exhaust on the engine comes out into a muffler of some kind and goes into the air, rather than underwater, you don't need to tank it.<br /><br />That's a lawnmower engine on there. If you need engine parts, think small engine repair shop.