Yanmar Diesel outboards- What are they like and Where can I get one?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yanmar Diesel outboards- What are they like and Where can I get one?

I did think about an outdrive but it's a hell of a lot of work with the way my transom reinforcing's built. I'd have to remove all the reinforcement and move it 4" down and widen it by 18"-then glass it all in. I don't have anything to bolt an engine to either so I'd have to glass in large mounts and lose half my cockpit-the strength in my hull is from the solid fibreglass bulkheads rather than stringers.<br /><br />I HAVE however found that Coventry climax are now making diesel outboards... am making enquiries about them at the moment.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

HI<br /> just thought I would add something here, I know the Australian navy had heaps of diesel outboards a while back, used on big "people mover" sort of boats,they where a few years old and still "chugging" like new, but, they had to be removed by a couple of people or a small crane/davit setup, and they were only 28HP so they must have weighed a ton

Joey One

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You didn't mention the cost of liquid petroleum gas (LPG). This is probably a feasible alternative to gasoline.<br />Years ago, in the course of my work, we converted several war surplus gasoline engine-generators to LPG. It was cost effective and easy to do. A second step was to increase the efficiency by milling the heads to take advantage of the higher octane rating of LPG.<br />The only difficulty will be in finding the right LPG carburetor.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah that would be a possibility if I had a 4-stroke. Can't see any way of getting premix in lpg though.

daleburt

Seaman Apprentice

Hi
I was just reading you're thread.
Did you get a Yanmar or did you decide on something else??