Old Clinton Outboard

DuckFan

Cadet
I have come into possession of an old Clinton outboard type K7516106-A does anyone know anything about these. Seems to run good but I removed the lower housing for inspection and I am not quite sure how to re-install it. Do I have to remove the power head to do so? Any help or links would be great.

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Old Clinton Outboard

Hello there, is this a full shift model (F N R) if so it is probably like my K900 and you have to pull the power head to pull and replace the lower unit. After a few times it is easy.

DuckFan

Cadet

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes I figured that out about removing the power head after someone sent me a blow up of the parts involved from an old manual they had. I was pretty simple but a few of the bolts were buggers to get out. The model I have only has forward and neutral. Perhaps you would know how to replace the lower gear box oil? There does not seem to be a plug for that. Would you know what type of oil to use? Also do you have any idea what the oil to gas ratio should be? I am told it is high. I am sort of new at this old “they don’t make those anymore” motor thing and could use what ever advice you have. Thanks again for your reply.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My manual stops at 72 but lists fuel mix of 4 ozs of outboard oil per gallon Some say you must use 2 cycle chainsaw oil but my aftermarket manual says outboard oil..Manual shows a drain plug on starboard side of motor and vent on port side and a removeable cover on the bottom of gearcase.Remove cover drain and clean and inspect gears.Replace cover and remove both plugs .Lay motor on its side with the filler plug up (Port side up).Fill with 90 gear oil till oil comes out of the drain plug.<br />Sounds screwy doesnt it.Replace plugs.My guess is if no plugs remove bottom cover<br />clean and refill to the gasket surface with the motor inverted.Replace cover.<br /> Keep in mind my manual only goes to 72.

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello, from what can tell on this motor from the manual I have it uses 3oz oil to 1 gal gas, says use 30 weight but you can use regular 2 cycle oil. As for the the lower unit you have to turn the motor upside down and take off the prop and the lower gear case cap (4 bolts). It does not use 90 wt oil but a grease, I think a good wheel bearing grease would do but you shold check with a boat shop and see what type they recommend for the old motors like this. Good luck.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I just found a two cyl 15 hp sears engine in a garage sale for 50 bucks it ran good and had only a few hours on it has been in storage for about 15 years, they said it was 18 years old and it is a watercooled, electronic ignition,twist grip and forward neutral and reverse model tecumsee made them for sears and I did not think they were still doing that in the mid 80,s it is taged with a t381 model so im guessing its a 1981 but just guessing, any one have a clue about the year of this motor.