Goodyear 5hp motor

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
I was servicing a bank forclosure today when the guy who bought it said I could have whatever junk I wanted, as it was all abandoned anyway. There was two small outboards, a ten hp Wizard, and a 5hp Goodyear. It looks like the Goodyear will run but I need sparkplugs for it. From what I understand, Gale made the motors for Goodyear, and Gale got the machining from OMC. I assume this little motor is from the late 50s. Everything else seem fine. <br /><br />The model number is 025-3573<br />The serial number is 540786<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated, especially about what plugs to get, and also what mix ratio I should run it at.<br /><br />The wizard needs a lower unit, but I am not in a hurry for that one. If the Goodyear runs good and strong I want to use it as a kicker until I get a better one. Thanx in advance.

Re: Goodyear 5hp motor

Gale was a division of OMC located in Galesburg, Illinois. Gale manufactured motors for Goodyear,Western Auto, Wards and others. <br />Your 5hp Goodyear Sea Bee was produced in 1954.<br />The fuel mixture is 24:1. Spark plug J-6J; the plug gap is .030"; point gap .020"

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thanx Squirrel, much appreciated

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As I understand it the J6J has been superceded<br />by J6C But your Parts person should know that.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

J6C is what I ended up with. I tossed in the new plugs, mixed up some gas and oil, and it fired right up. Runs great, but the water pump impeller is shot. It has taken a set, and isn't pumping, so do you know off hand if there is any pumps or at least impellers available? It looks like its a pretty common impeller, I'll go to the local marine store tomorrow, but it would be cool to have another source. It runs real strong, has great compression, not too bad for free.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I went to the local marine store this morning, and yet again they pissed me off. He whipped out a parts book, found everything I needed in like two seconds, and then hands me a piece of paper with a phone number on it for someone in Seattle who could help me. Thats fine, but you think they would want to make a little money and order it from this place and sell it to me. Its just an odd way to do business, most places just order things from other places and take care of the customer. This place repeatedly turns its nose up at anything except new equipment. I know my parts are old and cheap, but these people sit around and complain about how people do not buy locally, then don't take care of the customer, forcing us to go out of town. Whatever, I'm done with that place, I ordered an impeller from Laings. Thanx for the link...

david clare

Recruit

I have received a 5hp good year model 025-3564a out board motor from a friend. while I am a retired sailor i confess to knowing almost nothing about out boards. I need to find an operators manual, and or advice as to how to start this motor. thanks

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jason, you should check out that Wizard. Mercury made them through most of the fifties and shared parts with the green tank and Mark models. The last Mercury made Wizards used some Mark 20H innards!

Bob

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Jason, you should check out that Wizard. Mercury made them through most of the fifties and shared parts with the green tank and Mark models. The last Mercury made Wizards used some Mark 20H innards!

Bob

Jason started this thread in 2003. I doubt he is still watching it.

David, you really should start a new thread instead of tacking onto an old one.

david clare

Recruit

sorry, I dont know much about computers, I am not even shure what a thread is much less how to start one.