old Clinton Outboard

Jweis9

Recruit
I have an old Clinton 3 1/2 hp outboard motor. It still runs, but the carbuteor leaks and some of the parts have a tendency to rattle off LOL. I would like to know where I could get parts and a carb kit for the silly thing. Don't want to get rid of it because it is an antique. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: old Clinton Outboard

Believe those used Tecumseh engines. Look for numbers on the block or carb to track down parts. And buy Loctite in bulk! :D

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi J: I used to have an old Clinton 7.5hp which ran like the devil until the impeller went out and the engine fried. These motors had the powerhead made by Clinton and the lower leg was made by Eska. Clinton is long since out of business and so is Eska, but you might try the Antique Outboard Motor Club at aomci.org and click on their Ask-a-Member forum. Post your model number and what you need there and someone may be able to help you. Best of luck!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think your best bet is ebay parts and parts motors appear regularly.Clinto also built<br />Chief,Sprite,Peerless,Apache and Sea King.<br /> They use a Clinton aircooled powerhead and a water cooled exhaust leg.<br /> I believe the 3.5 appeared in 69 not exactly an antique but perhaps collectable.<br /> Specs: J350 3.5 hp @ 6,800 rpm.BJ9 3.5 @4,800<br />rpm. 5.76 cu. in., points @ .020, Plug @ .025.

Your air-cooled outboard was made by Clinton Engines Corporation of Maquoketa, Iowa (formerly of Clinton Machine Co. of Clinton, Michigan). You didn't give a model number so I really can't give you any specs on your motor. <br />Although Clinton hasn't produced outboard motors since the '80's they are still(sort of) in business. They have parts left over from production days and are the best source out there for Clinton parts. They do business as CEPCO, 1-563-652-2411. Have you model number available when you call.