Champion Plug Cross Reference

D

DJ

My engine calls for L77J4 Champion plugs. One source says they are not available and to use L77JC4. Has the L77J4 been superceded?<br /><br />It is my understanding that the "C" should not be used in place of the L77J4.<br /><br />The engine is a 1983 90 HP. Evinrude.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Champion Plug Cross Reference

Hey djohns19,<br /><br />I use the L77JC4 in my V6 'rude. Have for years. No problems.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your V4 will run better if you use the factory recommended QL82C Champion plugs. They are a bit hotter than the L77's and foul less.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On the same note, I've asked this before but I can't seem to find the reply. What is the replacement for the Champion L4J.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Scotiany - L4J goes to L82C (found it in Champion book, under discontinued plug section).<br /><br />djohns - shouldn't use "YC" suffix plugs in engine calling for "C" suffix. The Y plug has extended tip, which will hit the deflector dome on a cross flow piston.<br /><br />BTW - the L77J4 did supercede to the L77JC4 found it in the same place...<br /><br />-John

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the L77J4 was replaced by the L77JC4. They will work great in your motor. You can use the QL77JC4's also if you need a resistor plug.<br /><br />The QL82C's will work also but personally I like to fudge combustion temps on the cool side.<br /><br />Now if you make an error (hurring too much) at the race and grab the QL82YC'S (meant for the looper) and throw them in the crossflow, after you make a pass at 7000 you will have a plug gap of .009" and be a bit down on power.<br /><br />Trust me.

carmangary1

Seaman

A bit off the subject but does anyone know the diffence between the L77V and the L76V sparkplugs? My engine calls for L77V but I put some L76V plugs in it by mistake.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Carman, start a new topic with this, you will get more responses.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

With Champion brand plugs, the higher the number, the "hotter" the plug.<br /><br />John

carmangary1

Seaman

What does it mean to be "hotter"? I've heard the term before in regards to sparkplugs but I am not sure what it means.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Gary

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I believe it has to due with the length of the insulator around the electrode and the ability of the plug to dissipate heat. I think a smaller insulator cools faster, or maybe its the other wayround I forget.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The longer the porcailan nose, the slower the nose cools to the treads, the hotter the plug. Hotter plugs carbon foul less. Colder plugs don't cause detonation. <br />Very generally speaking, if you run flat racing out all the time, you _might_ want a colder plug to stave off detonation originating at the spark plug tip.<br />Look at the buisness end of a couple different spark plugs and you'll see what I mean.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Djohns<br />I belive the C in champ plugs just means has a copper core and it will function over a wider heat range. My Johnson came new with a L7J which is no longer made. At a very good automotive shop they found a old cross refference that crossed to a L82C many here on this board say it also corsses to a L77J4 but I have not found that in a cross reverence anywhere. I actually run a L90C in my motor which is two heat ranges hoter than L82C but this motor used mainly for trolling. <br />Main thing is make sure the reach is same as your L77J4. Actually all Champ pulgs go by a number now the L82C is a 320. They do still put the old L77J4 on the box.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

John from Ill-Thanks for info-needed that.