Champion Outboard

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm bidding on an auction for what is listed as a Champion 7hp Outboard. I've never heard of this brand of engine, however the seller has also given me the following information that is written on it.<br /><br />PACEMAKER, MODEL 6N D, 56E 507650, CRUISING TANK<br /><br />Anyone have any snippets of information on this motor ?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Mike<br /><br />
Champion.jpg

alcan

Commander
Re: Champion Outboard

Hi Kiwi <br />My list reads, that motor is a 1956 16.5hp.<br />The point gap for Champion motors is generaly .018". Most models use 1\2 pint of oil per gallon of gas. From what I've read and been told, champions were pretty famous in the early 50s. Mostly because of their Hydro drive models. this was a fluid drive lower unit that could be controled very accurately for trolling. Sort of a veriable gear ratio. Over the years I've had two of these models. Both were inoperable do to the lower units. Needless to say I never repaired ether one. How ever it was interesting to see how they worked. I don't belive your model has this feature. From the list I have, it looks as if your model was the largest hp. produced the 16.5hp. The list also shows Champions were made between 1946 and 1958 from 4.2hp to 16.5 hp. There is a book titled, the old outboard Book that I belive has more on the champion story as well as most other makes. There is also an antique outboard motor club web site. I've read, this book is available at book stores and I've seen it on the AOMCI site. I found a well worn copy at our public library. I wish you sucess in your endevor, have fun.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Mike,Alcan did a great job. the only thing I would add is the motor should be considered a<br />collector not an every day motor.If there is<br />shipping involved be sure seller is equiped to do it right. Shipping can also be expensive. be sure <br /> sellers estimate seems right.I had a 100 lb. motor shipped from the midwest to east coast US.<br />Cost..$160.oo The 2 motors I had shipped were both damaged.I got my money but still damaged motors.Not an expert but I believe that motor is rare because of its relatively large hp.

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. I have no idea what the reserve is on this motor. Could well be more than I want to pay but I would love to get my hands on it and restore it to its former glory. Freight won't be a problem as its in a town 3 hours from me so I would collect it myself. I would say it could be considered 'very' rare in New Zealand.<br /><br />Mike

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guess what !! I won the auction. I can't believe the price I got it for - NZ$115.00 thats US$56.00 !! YEEHAA !<br /><br />Cheers<br />Mike<br />
3hand.gif