sears 9.9 gamefisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking to purchase a 1980 sears 9.9 gamefisher motor from a local boat shop. I'm new to boating and am wondering what I should look for in purchasing a used motor . Is the gamefisher a decent motor in the first place? <br />thanks!

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: sears 9.9 gamefisher

mountainboy <br />Question: Who is going to work on this 22 year old?, discontinued, unpopular, few sold, high price parts, didn't run that well when new, is any dealer in the state going to have say a propeller on the shelf when you bash yours?-Not!<br /> You didn't mention price, but it would have to be<br />dirt cheap with gas tank and hose. You understand I do not care for them at all. A Johnson, Evinrude, or Mercury, with current new or used parts available is a better buy by far. My view.<br />Backfire ;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

New to boating stick with E/J or M. Stay away from the odd ball stuff till you know your way around. I usually root for the underdog but I have to agree with Backfire. Stay away. Spike

jlemke

Cadet

I worked for sears for a few years as a small engine tech and I can tell you that from my experience with these motors, they are not very reliable. I used to hate seeing them come in because I knew I was in for a battle with the motor and the irrate owners who had to bring them in season after season.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, I really appreciate the great advice! I am going to keep looking. :)

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ted William's Gamefisher...Be afraid, very afraid.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sounds like good advice. By the way, mountainboy, aren't you also looking at a 25hp Tohatsu? I'm a little curious. There is quite a bit of difference between applications for a 9.9 and a 25 hp? In any case, I think you need to be an Evinrude or a Johnson guy.<br /><br />commentors: What was the '80 Gamefisher? Was that the white one with the green markings? I had a 7 1/2 Gamefisher of that description (mid-'80s) that I sold, or sort of gave away, to another tinkerer. Mine was an air cooled model, and there seems to be some interest in that one (engine by Clinton, as I recall). Or was the '80 Gamefisher one of the Force models -- that low profile type. Just curious.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat that I have will take up to a 25 hp motor. That is why I would settle for a 9.9 up to 25hp. Thanks, MB

mikeadams

Recruit

jlemke, maybe you can help. I have a gamefisher 9.9. I'm replacing the head gasket & need to know the torque ft. lbs. for the head.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i don't understand all the bashing on these motors as they were built by tecumseh and the 9.9 has been very reliable for me besides a faulty pump element. if the price is good all carb parts are typical tecumseh parts that are easy to find. i've seen evinrudes with massive problems as well as many different brands, it all depends on the owner and the maintenance that is done. i wouldn't be afraid, as a matter of fact if the price is good snatch it up, considering that a new 9.9 will go for $2500.00. mine is a 1984 and blows many outboards away on the lakes, i have it on a 16 foot runabout that will get up and plane with my 2 kids wife and i on board.

M

mrcrabs

I don't understand dredging up a 10 year old thread???

Status
Not open for further replies.