• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Magneto Coil Removal & Check - need assistance

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magneto Coil Removal & Check - need assistance

I've got a '65 West Bend (12 Hp), that I'm going over, and am wanting to check the magneto coil.I suppose first off, I should ask - What is the "proper" procedure for checking spark while cranking? My manual says to pull the spark plug, then hold the spark plug WIRE about 1/8" from the cylindar head.. Problem is that the rubber boot is longer than that, and won't allow a spark to jump while next to the cylindar head. Am I actually supposed to leave the spark plug attached to the wire? and put the plug body next to the cylindar head while cranking?Now - on to my actual problem that I need assistance with:I'm trying to take off the magneto coil assembly. I Removed the nut & small plate from the top of the flywheel assembly, however I cannot get the flywheel to lift off. I suppose I'm just a panzy-***** and don't want to hit it with a hammer (joke!). Is there an easy way of lifting it off?Parts of the my motor's section in "Old Outboard Service Manual" mention removing the magneto assembly - but of course, don't explain "how".Thanks in advance!Rex

Re: Magneto Coil Removal & Check - need assistance

Hi rexTake the plug wire off and install it on a old plug. adjust the old plug to manual specs for gap, (1/8"seems low but..) and hold tight to block. The old mag ignition doesn't produce much voltage at starting speed, so the potential of arc damage is minimal.To remove the flywheel, pry up gently on the edge of the flywheel with a pry bar. With the crank nut loose but still on just below threads, hit the crank using a brass or dead blow hammer(I often use a steel hammer, but if inexperienced, will damage threads). If the flywheel doesn't pop up, you may need to install a puller (steeringwheel or dampner puller will work) Look for threads in flywheel for this purpose. good luck!!!
    Alias "schematic"

Comment

Thanks Schematic!I'll do some more work in daylight tomorrow, if it's not raining - and will update on progress after I see whether I've got spark or not.Rex Smith

Comment

you are so lucky with the rain and all....our lake is down big time. we got snow, but not enough to make a difference. Only enough to make it cold Brrrrrrrrrrr.
        Alias "schematic"

Comment

I'm still unsuccessful at getting the magneto off of the motor. Tried prying, knocking upwards around the edges with a hammer (against a piece of wood)... I have a steering wheel puller, however, there are no threaded holes for using the animal.The good news is that we're not being rained upon, and it's 70+ degrees today.I may post a pic. to see if anyone has a suggestion.Thanks,Rex

Comment

Okay... Here's several pics of the magneto in question....Rex's Boat Pics http://home.attbi.com/~rexsmith/boat/ And since I posted more pics, on a prior thread of mine, someone had mentioned using Kroil for my rusty bolts... No dice, yet. I'm going to wind up using a hacksaw to remove them, and find a new clamp bolt... Look at the pics, and You'll see what I mean.Rex

Comment

hey man, nice picturesI'd be putting penetrating oil on that crank area and letting it soak overnight. When you attempt to strike the end of the crank, it has to be a good hard direct blow (while keeping upward tension on the flywheel with a pry bar or screwdriver). Just tapping it to the sound of music will only pee it off! And ofcourse, if you miss, you'll damage the threads.The easiest and safest way is to acquire a brass or aluminum pin or drift(5"-6"long, 1"or larger O.D.)reinstall the nut so its just under flush of the crank. Get someone to apply upward pressure on flywheel for you, while you hold the pin tightly onto crank. Hit it good and hard with a 2 pound hammer or so.(careful not to hit hand!)If this doesn't work, you may have to thread the three bosses (holes)in the flywheel and install puller.good luck man!!
              Alias "schematic"

Comment

Thanks Schematic,I'll do that tonite, and see what I can punch out in the morning.On another note - My buddy came over, and we checked for spark... no spark as far as we could tell - from EITHER plug - on either wire. That tells me that we need to get that flywheel off to see what's going on under the hood.There are 2 wires (that for lack of better term) look like 110v AC lamp cord coming out with the spark plug wires, and the ends are shrink tubed, and they are tied-off out of the way on the side of the motor. I got curious, and measured resistance to ground on both of these... results? They both showed 0 ohms... They are both grounding. Should there be any other reading off of those?Seems like no matter how deep I go... the stuff keeps getting deeper! hahaRex

Comment

Hi rexas far as the electrical goes, I've never seen your engine type. If you post a wiring diagram, I'll tell you what there for. I'd guess there for a lighting coil or possibly a remote shut off.>have you ever had this engine running?good luck on your flywheel !
                  Alias "schematic"

Comment

Nope... Never had it running. It was ran by my wife's grandfather back in the late 1960's and early 70's. He says that there was never more than 2 tanks of gas run through it. He & his wife got into a fight while on the lake, and decided that that boat could just sit in the yard and never go anywhere. So that's what it did since the early 1970's - until he gave it to me last month.If it looks like parts and repairs are too much to bother with, then I suspect that I might be better off getting a newer motor that actually runs when I aquire it! (grin)Honestly, though, I really think that this one will run. It's just a matter of 'figgerin' out what each parts function is, and take it one step at a time.I don't know if you have it, or have seen it, but on page 8 of "The Old Outboard Service Manual - Vol 1" (I'll post the pic to my site tonite) is a diagram of the flywheel magneto assembly. They have only labeled some of the arts - and of course, do not label the wires that are hanging off (I suspect they might have been placed there with the thought that a boat owner could use them for a battery charging system... who knows)Rex

Comment

those are some badly rusted mounts you have there. cut the tightening bolts off close the the bracket and take them in to a shop. They'll drill them out and refresh the threads(unless you can find used) We don't have corrosion like that around here, so I bet I could find some if so desired!I'm hoping the underside of the flywheel looks better than your brackets!Have you done a compression test yet?
                      Alias "schematic"

Comment

Just posted the book picture... Hope that clarifies what I'm looking at - so update or refresh your screen on the page.While in the yard for the last 30 years, the boat held not only water, but lots of old junk - that rusted in the water, along with the bolts. The rust has discolored the aluminum hull - but it's only that - discoloration. The wheels of the trailer sank deep into the ground, and rusted, as well - so I replaced the hubs & tires. The axle was in pristine condition when I removed the hubs. No rust inside, so the seals held through the years.I'm not so hopeful for the water pump & seals! haha I'll surely have to change the water pump impeller and seals, and possibly the fuel pump diaphram - but that'll be later down the list.No - I have not performed a compression test. Will see if I can find a friend with a compression tester to do that with.\Rex

Comment

Rex for what its worth when i used to work on those motors with the S**** name on them we would run 1/4x20 self tapping bolts in the 3 holes in the top of the flywheel so we could use a harmonic balancer puller on them as i said for what its worth

Comment

those two wires go to coil primary and are probably intended for a remote kill switch. They will read .3 ohm - .8 ohm which is easily mistaken as a ground. Very little concern here. More concerned with how the cylinder and crank looks.......The points are probably oxidized(corroded) to the point of no connection, thats why no spark...Good luck...
                            Alias "schematic"

Comment

Norman,That may be the key to getting that flywheel off! I'll see if Pep Boys or Harbor Freight have an inexpensive H. Balancer puller..... Or heck - the guys at NAPA might let me borrow one.(Luckily, I live within 1 mile of a Harbor Freight retail store!)

Comment

Working...
                              X