Help on Clinton outboard

LTCFBPM

Recruit
I recently recieved an outboard motor from a friend for helping with a task.<br />Here are particulars and problems<br />Clinton Apacie motor Model J9 1106 B with gas tank<br />I have no information on the motor and no manuals<br />I tried to start the motor, it ran for a few seconds and quit. I did this several tines<br />before stopping and doing this search.<br />1. What mixture should this engine be run at?<br />2. Where should the low-speed and high speed jets be set at when trying to start the eingine?<br />3. Plug looks brand new, but I did not write down the plug number to add to this discussion<br />4. What is the best practice for cleaning and getting ready to get this engine started?<br />Any help will be greatly appreciated<br /><br />Bryce

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help on Clinton outboard

You can find a manual at repairmanual.com<br />I believe it will be under Apache or chief.<br /> Clinton air cooled power head with a water cooled exhaust leg.<br /> J9 is 5 hp. @ 6,800 rpm. 5.76 cu. in. points @ .020,Plugs @ .025.fuel mix 4 oz. per gallon.<br /> Initial carb settings high speed turn out 1 1/2<br />turns from gently bottomed idle out 2 turns.<br />Do final adjust at speed then idle adjust.<br />recheck high speed after doing the idle.<br /> It is usually reccomended to change the impeller<br /> unles you know the condition.You should go through the fuel system from tank to carb with<br /> special attention to cleaning.

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help on Clinton outboard

I'll add my two cents to Spike's good information. You can find an impeller for this engine at the Eska website as the lower leg was made by Eska. If it's like the old Clinton I used to have, the water pump is the taller of the two illustrations shown on the website. My old Clinton fried and died because the impeller went out - even though the powerhead is air cooled, it needs that water pump to cool the exhaust and lower leg. Replace yours before you take it out and try to use it. Good luck!