SEARS WATERWITCH 571.11 FUEL/OIL RATIO

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I picked this motor up recently and got it to run. I used 24:1 fuel mix but I don't know the actual recommended mix. It doesn't run very well and I have to figure out why. I don't want to keep running it on 24:1 if it isn't right. I'm also looking for spark plug replacement part number, and type of grease or oil recommended for the lower unit.
​Also, I took a video of it running. In this video I discovered that if I move the spark advance towards the faster position and then lean up the fuel mixture it runs much better. But when I move the spark advance down it will die unless I open up the fuel again. Right now my guess is dirty points. I hit them with sand paper but I might not have cleaned them enough. Anyhow, heres a link if you want to see and give me your thoughts on that.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My info says 571.11 is a 1939. 2.5hp. @3000 RPM. Spark plug #43-B, gap .025". Breaker points gap .020". Oil 3/4 pint sae 30 per gallon.
Your 24:1 mix might have something to do with the poor running. The motor needs lots of oil to act as a seal. But there is a standing joke about there are lots of Waterwitches around, but nobody has seen one run. At least yours runs.

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are you sure about that plug? I cannot find any reference to that plug. Do you know the modern number?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
EDIT: Delete. I see you found the answer at aomci. I should have directed you there in the first place

Last edited:

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was able to get the fuel oil mix right but it still runs just as rough. The carburetor and the spark seem to be fine. The only guess I have is that the poppet valve is set incorrectly or there are leaky gaskets. Still, it sounds to me like an ignition problem. the previous owner had put some tape on the kill switch wire but I don't see any burn marks from it arching. Is there a common reason for misfires on these old waterwitches? Does anybody know?