1988 7.5hp Gamefisher leaking from top hole in lower unit

schubaxe

Recruit
98 gamefisher.PNG ​I'm testing this motor out before I buy it and found this milky mixture leaking from the top hole in the lower unit. While running the motor, it shoots clear water from the hole. When I shut it down, water runs out followed shortly afterwards by this milky mixture. Not sure this is a seal/gasket leak or an overfill situation? Is it a easy repair? Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. the white milky mixture will also come out of the lower hole later on. Thanks!

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
probably a shaft seal below the water pump impellor....Easy fix. Water is mixing with the foot oil. Wouldnt run it too much till its fixed or you will destroy the gears in the foot

schubaxe

Recruit
I appreciate your advice Chief Petty Officer. I think i'll make the repair and enjoy some fishing with my kids. Thanks for your service! From one prior military to another.

schubaxe

Recruit
Where might be the best spot to find parts. Searched Ebay for shaft seal and having difficulty finding parts thru sears? Are there knock offs, other brands that will fit? Thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That motor is made by Force so those parts will interchange. Have you smelled it? Unburned fuel can mix with water and will run out like that which is perfectly normal. That will usually happen after it idles and does not have a chance to get to operating temp.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
From the looks of that picture its way too milky I think to be 2 cycle oil mixed with gas. Your local Merc dealer should have the parts.