help with ignition - 1948 goodyear/gale 5hp

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all - busy trying to familiarize myself with a motor i picked up 2 days ago -

I have thus far followed this article to test my coil:

My primary is 100 ohms (unless i misread sth on meter) and secondary is 3700 on both coils..

According to condenser tests they also passed -

I set the 2 coils according to this with my A gaps at 0.012 and B gap at 0.014 - I measured business cards till i had 2 sizes, marked them and slipped them between coil and center part.

When I spin motor, I do feel a buzz from both wires, but nothing jumps to ground when I hold a wire close to metal - fyi im spinning the motor with my cordless drill and plugs removed..

Rotary_Magneto_001.jpg

My coil looks exactly like this one:

LocationsLBL.png

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those coils are usually good unless physically damaged. It's a good sign that they both have the same reading, although I think your meter is on the wrong scale. How are you checking the condensers? Did you clean and adjust the points? As a test you can disconnect the condensers and check for spark, just don't run it like that it it will burn up the points.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi- havent cleaned the points yet.. will get to it 2moro probably.. I was running a max ohms test (to excite the condenser) - then connected a 400milli volt prongs and watched the volt drop slowly down, disconnect a little, and watch the voltage is where it was when I disconnected (to check it holds the charge)..

I have a few new condensers as I work on older boats quite alot so ill put new ones in, get new plugs and try again 2moro :)

I set up the spaces using business cards the correct thickness - hopefully its setup right..