picked up 2 vintage outboards for 35 bucks

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys - grabbed these 2 at a swap meet 2day - i have no clue what they are.

One is a goodyear model # 025-3564. Other one I believe is a 50s elgin air cooled model (cant find a sn anywhere except "made by wico electrical"). They seem to have 90-95% of the parts so i guess ill be looking around on ebay etc to get them up and running.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
yup - actually got her up and running! I think I might have dolloped a little too much mystery oil in the gas cos she started sneezing and so forth. Ill add some gas and try again this week. Picked up a nice used dinghy today so can try it on the water now.

Are these ok in salt water? (very little use / flushed and stored dry)?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your Elgin was made by West Bend Aluminum Co (later known as Chrysler, then Force). It is one of the few air cooled outboards that I have much respect for.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
F_R thanks - I just need a new needle to see if I can get it running well.. it was bogging a little, despite having a very good strong spark and new plugs.. Cleaned out the carb and set it up (found an exact carb build sheet online somewhere).. oil mix ratio 16:1 -

I got mied up between the 54 goodyear/gale I had (that one runs good but struggles to run well.. might be too much oil in the mix)..

Just got a little 7ft dinghy last week so will take them all 3 for a test sometime soon ..