1955 Scott Atwater restoration - need coils

franklenz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I?ve been rebuilding old motors for a while, but this is my first atwater. Everything is complete and functioning perfect, but I can?t find the coils I need anywhere. From my research, I believe they should be Wico X7120 or aftermarket part #5-5009. Please let me know if I?m wrong. They are the 5/8? ones - not the 7/16?. Motor number is 3955. Any help would be very appreciated. Also, I?m looking for the bail a matic sump puck that sits in the boat - just to make it complete - if anyone has a lead on this, please let me know.

franklenz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looks like I?ll have to do the martinoutboards site. I?ll give him a call next week. Last time I bought stuff through him, he was not set up for electronic payment. Kind of a hassle, but I guess it?s worth it when you get the right parts.

And you?re correct - the omc coils will not work on this motor. This has the 5/8? coils as previously stated.

I?ve been to every small motor repair shop and long time marine shop hoping someone would have a couple laying around in their old stock. No luck. I also sent an email to the people that make the ?wic444? coil. I never received a response.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The coils you get from the martin guy are brand new coils. I have several of the 16 hp scotts and that is where I go for coils. On the smaller scotts with the 5/8" laminate you can swap those for a 7/16" laminate. But the 16 is kind of a stand alone motor have you noticed the prop is left handed so only 16 hp props work on it. I would also replace the waterpump as they have an extremely high failure rate.

franklenz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I never took notice to the left hand prop. Hmmm...and I’m not home to check. My OCD is going to get me until I can check.

Anyways, I put a new powerhead on, new impeller, condensers, points, etc. detailed everything, and cleaned the carb. All that’s missing is coils and the sump puck. I usually would do a full repaint, but this one is in great shape as is.

The old powerhead was seized from storage moisture. There was zero damage to it, but I couldn?t get it to break free. Tried the 50/50 acetone ATF soak for three weeks. No luck.

franklenz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

From astern, this prop rotates clockwise for forward propulsion. Right handed prop....?

Attachments

• photo279648.png
    photo279648.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The prop on the left is off of my 1956 16 hp scott. The one on the right is from my 87 merc 25 which is a right hand prop. Your 55 could be different. S4010134.JPG

franklenz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yep. My ?55 is a right hand prop. Thanks for the info though. Do you happen to have an extra scott bilge for the boat? I?d really like to make this motor complete and put it on a wooden boat. There?s a decent one for sale by me that needs a little tlc.