Gamefisher 3.0 No start

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Just picked this guy up, details here. Guy sold it because it wouldn't start. Well, he was right. First, that is the simplest carb I've ever seen. Am I correct that there are no idle ports? Looks like it only has a float, main jet, and a vent passage, so not sure what else could go wrong with it? The needle valve closes, and the bowl fills. The main jet is clear. However, no fire. I have spark, didn't put a gauge on it but compression feels strong. When I spray starter fluid in, it sputters and attempts to run. Otherwise nothing. Plug looks dry. So thinking about it, I'm wondering if I have a clogged intake port? I don't know if I'm remembering right, but thinking that I only got a pop when I sprayed the fluid directly into the cylinder, rather than the intake. I'll have to verify that though. I'm guessing that I just have a straight intake, with no valves? Thinking that I can just put a finger over the intake and see if I feel a vacuum to rule out an intake clog (and I've never had this happen, or know if it's even a thing...)
Other suggestions?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
run some fine copper wire thru the drilled ports (jet and vent). bet there is a slug of dirt in one of the ports

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Nope, seriously, this is an incredibly simple beast. I can see straight through the jet, and the vent was clear. i'll double-triple check tomorrow.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ya know what? Looking at the parts diagram, I see that there's a needle jet (#7) incorporated into the throttle slide. I didn't pay that any attention, as I removed the whole assembly to get the carb out. Bet that's the issue.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
....And it looks like I have a parts motor :blue:

I cleaned the carb again. When turning the motor over I noticed no vacuum whenI put my finger over the intake. I had the (I thought) clever idea of blowing compressed air through the intake to see if the carb was working. Sure enough, gas mist came out the other side. When I turned the motor over again, I thought I heard a hiss from somewhere near the top of the engine. So I wasn't getting vacuum because of a crankcase leak (I think). When I put everything back together I blew more air through the carb with the intake port open. I noticed gas mist coming from under the cowling/magneto. Looking at the parts diagram, it appears there's an oil seal under there. I attempted to get to it...And the crank sheared when trying to remove the bolt. And as I'm typing this I remember that that might have been reverse threaded. Grr. Doesn't look like I can get a crank.