Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

60's Model Ted Williams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60's Model Ted Williams

I just picked up this little gem at a yard sale yesterday. Sorry for the pic. Ive tried to post a few on here and it always uploads sideways. any help remedying this would be appreciated. About the motor. Its a 60's model Ted Williams single cylinder, air cooled 7.5hp. Its in great shape. nothing seems to be broken on it except for the choke knob which has been replaced by a drywall screw that seems to work just fine. The Model # is 3A146522. Chassis I.D. is 217-5888-1. I've been looking online for an eska/ ted Williams lookup engine but have had no luck. Anybody out there with any additional info on it I'm all ears. It has good compression and a brand new spark plug. I need to get in there and clean the carb. My biggest issue right now is a fuel source. I do not have the coupler/adapter, whatever you wanna call it that feeds fuel into the motor. The female piece looks to be in good shape. Any thoughts on a place who might have this piece in stock (relatively cheap of course). I know these motors are getting hard to find parts for but if I could put a minimal amount into and have a backup for my 14ft v hull then I'm all for it. Thanks!!!

I think that's usually called a Chrysler fuel fitting. You can find them on ebay.

Make sure you have a good spark before spending too much money on that motor. If it's electronic ignition the parts are no longer available.

Comment

Thanks Tom! I just finished disassembling the carb. It actually didn't look that bad. Quick question me bein a newbie and all. How will I know if its an electronic ignition. The motor has a manual pull cord but I assume you mean electric start? Not sure if that is the same thing. Also I just want to make sure that because its an air cooled motor I don't have to have the prop submerged in water to start it up considering it does have an impeller. Or so Ive read from the research. Is this correct? Cheers!

Comment

one more question. could I potentially swap out the Chrysler fitting for a standard marine fuel tank connector? The standard two prong clip? I believe its all standard 1/4''.

Comment

Its not electronic or SSI which is solid state...Should have points and condensor
          Every day is a new day..... GO FISHING and take the wife or she gets mad....

1986 Durham 16 side counsel 35 Evin

Comment

The model I have says Solid State Ignition on the top of the cover. What does that mean exactly? What's the difference?

Comment

Your motor was made in the 70s by Eska I believe. There may be a water pump in the leg that cools the exhaust. If your motor would have been made in the 60s it would have been a twin cylinder watercooled Mcculloch built motor.

Comment

Oh ok. That sounds about right. the guy that sold it to me said it was a 60's but after looking at other models it looked more like a 70's. Is there any place to lookup the numbers on the motor? All I really need now is a female fuel fitting for the fuel line. Ive found them for about $15. Just nee to order one since no one around sells them locally. What is the fuel mix ratio on this motor? 50:1? 24:1?

Comment

Is the fitting you need for the tank end or the motor? If tank you can just get a cheap barb fitting at any hardware store.

But as I said before, check that you have a spark before spending any money on it. Those motors use an early design CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) that is prone to failure and no longer available

Comment

I just went out and pulled the cord with the plug out. I have good spark! ​ The fitting that I need is for the tank end. Its a quick connect coupling that looks like this.

Comment

how is the male side connected to the tank? It's probably just threaded in; if so you can take it out and replace with a brass fitting from the hardware store

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewater84 View Post
                        The model I have says Solid State Ignition on the top of the cover. What does that mean exactly? What's the difference?
                        Then its a 70s model and Solid state ignition replaced the points and condesor. If you have spark then your good. You got lucky

Comment

Originally posted by tomhath View Post
                          how is the male side connected to the tank? It's probably just threaded in; if so you can take it out and replace with a brass fitting from the hardware store
                          yeah its threaded in. So your saying replace it with a hose barb or another type of quick connect? Which would be better?

Comment

yours is a 1973 twist grip 7.5hp Eska.

Comment

Thanks brim_buster! I appreciate that! as soon as I get this fuel line situation under control I'll giver her a crank. I am also missing the FILL screw and VENT screw for the oil. And the bottom gear shield on the foot is missing but I'm pretty sure I have a replacement for that. Any idea where to get these screws? Are they special or can I just get them at a hardware store? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X