12D11E, 12hp

70's son

Recruit
Hi all,
newbie here.

​Just picked up a 12D11E, 12hp on the weekend. Made in Peterborough Ontario, which is cool as I live in Ontario.

​I put in the proper plugs (J6C), and proper fuel/oil ratio (24:1), and she came alive! Love the raw engine sound from those old motors too...sounds like a diesel or small Harley.

Was a bit shocked at how much oil is now in my test tank after running it for a short time. I guess a combination of rich mix and zero concern about emissions back then. I haven't tried it on the water yet, but am excited to try it out on my early 70's 12 ft Harbercraft aluminum, which is rated for up to a 15hp.

​I believe my motor is the 1954/55 "deluxe" version, which is the same as the standard up through 1958...as someone already noted.

​I was wondering though about the E at the end of model number...the only other E designation I could find denotes electric start, but mine has no wiring for that. I have noticed other letters at the end which seem to denote make... as in 12D11B for buccaneer or G for gale, and strangely A for gale "royal". But nothing for E. Perhaps Elto? The lettering has worn off the side, but it still has the 12 on the panel as well as a maple leaf with a beaver inside...vey cool.

​Can this motor be converted to external tank? The top tank works fine but would like something bigger if possible

Thanks guys and happy motoring!

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Eatons of Canada? Gale made motors under the Viking name for Eatons.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
"E" means Elto. Vikings end with "V". Get it out of that tank and on a boat on the lake where it was designed to run. Get it adjusted properly and it will seem a lot cleaner. But you are absolutely correct, they did not worry about such stuff back then.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You won't find "E" and "V" motors listed in US model lists, because they were made in...well Canada. Nothing wrong with that, same motors.

70's son

Recruit
Brilliant! Thanks F_R... thought it might be elto, which I guess technically makes it an evinrude "junior" ha! Yes must get her out where she can stretch her legs a bit. From what I have seen I can expect around 20mph or 30km/hr on my boat.

I took my 2 young sons "boat-in-camping" this year for a week with only a 2.3 Johnson...5km (3miles for our American friends) up lake from launch point. Great fishing, sunny weather, and memories of my boys' first fish.

​Cant wait to do it next year, but with a motor that will actually outrun the deerflies!

Cheers
PS- I have the complete gale service manual if anyone is interested...400pages of awesome!