Sears 7 or 7.5 HP (Model 217-59440 / Eska) Impeller Replacement

ttarmijo

Recruit
I am trying to resurrect a Sears 217-59440 outboard. I've successfully repaired the Solid State Ignition module, rebuilt the carb, replaced the reed, etc to get the engine running great. My last task is to replace the cooling impeller - but I have no idea how to get at it! I don't know if you have to detach the entire column from the the engine base, or just remove the lower foot section from the column. I've gotten all the screws broken loosene in all these areas, but am afraid to actually try and separate anything until I understand how these things should come apart. Can anyone please help with a PDF service manual for this outboard so I don't damage anything - or some good instructions? Any help - greatly appreciated !

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
You only need to remove the gear case to change the impeller. The motor itself is air cooled, the impeller just pumps water into the exhaust housing to cool it. That motor is pretty simple, the powerhead is built by Tecumseh, there should be a manual free online somewhere. searspartsdirect still handles most of the common parts.