7.5hp Hiawatha parts needed / Fuel filter gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

wndsfr68

Recruit
Bought a 1959 Hiawatha 7.5hp not too long ago. Appears to have been built by Scot Atwater from what I've found on line. I was having fuel issues as the motor runs fine for a few minute and then acts like it's starved for gas. Bought new ball and hoses but it was still doing the same thing. Checked the fuel filter and the gasket/diaphragm on top was ruptured. I've been checking everywhere but can't find anything online. Is their any good places that have parts for these old motors? The model number is OM3-7987B. About the only thing I've found is someone who made one of a nitrile glove. It's not regular gasket material because it does have a little give to it, almost like a hard rubber.

shroom59

Cadet
Go out to eBay and buy a manual. Make sure you have the correct "model". I have a 1958 Hiawtha 7.5, and there is two different models. Here is an example My model is a OM3-7989B. I bought a manual for a 7987. There are some similarities, but differences too. I don't have a bowl on mine. And this hadn't ran in 30 years. Break out the Seafoam!!. Down the choke till it was running out the bottom. Then I put the engine on its side and took off the two cover plates. You can see the pistons. Dump an ounce down each one of those. New spark plugs, cleaned up the points and condensers. And after a couple of shots of starting fluid, bam! it took off and purred like a kitten. I completely replaced my fuel ball and line. I also checked the tank to make sure the screen at the bottom was in good shape. Mine was doing the same thing that yours was. But not anymore. Seafoam engine treatment did the trick. I also put 4oz per tank every time. Hope this helps. If you need a3/16 line, I bought mine off amazon. The sparkplugs that I replaced and I can tell you, these were the originals! they still had the paint on them and so did all the screws.. The plugs I am using are NGK B-6L-321Z with a .035 gap. The points are at 20

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Go out to eBay and buy a manual. Make sure you have the correct "model". I have a 1958 Hiawtha 7.5, and there is two different models. Here is an example My model is a OM3-7989B. I bought a manual for a 7987. There are some similarities, but differences too. I don't have a bowl on mine. And this hadn't ran in 30 years. Break out the Seafoam!!. Down the choke till it was running out the bottom. Then I put the engine on its side and took off the two cover plates. You can see the pistons. Dump an ounce down each one of those. New spark plugs, cleaned up the points and condensers. And after a couple of shots of starting fluid, bam! it took off and purred like a kitten. I completely replaced my fuel ball and line. I also checked the tank to make sure the screen at the bottom was in good shape. Mine was doing the same thing that yours was. But not anymore. Seafoam engine treatment did the trick. I also put 4oz per tank every time. Hope this helps. If you need a3/16 line, I bought mine off amazon. The sparkplugs that I replaced and I can tell you, these were the originals! they still had the paint on them and so did all the screws.. The plugs I am using are NGK B-6L-321Z with a .035 gap. The points are at 20

The OP left the building and hasn't returned.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.