Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Elgin 7.5 outboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elgin 7.5 outboard

I have an Elgin 7.5hp 61600710-2740 and could use some info on it. I've had it for about 7 years and it ran good when I first got it, but I don't remember any info on it anymore. I started it up yesterday with premium fuel & marine 2 stroke oil, 50:1 mix. It dies shortly after starting. Then it ran for about 3 minutes & died. It was really hot, too hot to touch & smoked. It still turns, but I haven't tried to start it since. Wondering if might be low on oil or water pump problem or fuel mix ratio. How to to check oil level &/or refill, checking if water pump is working correctly. Also what year is it.

Those numbers aren't right for an Elgin. Should start with 571. or 574. Could be either a West Bend or McCulloch produced motor, which are totally different beasts from one another.

Comment

Your right. I think that was the serial number. How about 574.60080. It's a bit hard to read being worn. I think the last two numbers are right, but not sure, could be HD. It says Sears and Roebuck.

Comment

Put up a pic of it.

Comment

Is this a low profile white colored motor with a plastic cowl and F-N-R gear shifter on the front panel? Those are the McCulloch built ones. They are a very smooth running little motor, but the water pumps are very problematic. There are two impellers, one for cooling the powerhead, and the other one for the bailer (nipple on the side of the leg meant to hook a hose to bail out the boat). If it is a McC motor, I would almost guarantee the impellers are shot. There are a couple of sources for them online, but they are expensive. I believe 40:1 fuel mix is correct for those. The older West Bend Elgins are 16:1.

Comment

Originally posted by RCO View Post
            Is this a low profile white colored motor with a plastic cowl and F-N-R gear shifter on the front panel? Those are the McCulloch built ones. They are a very smooth running little motor, but the water pumps are very problematic. There are two impellers, one for cooling the powerhead, and the other one for the bailer (nipple on the side of the leg meant to hook a hose to bail out the boat). If it is a McC motor, I would almost guarantee the impellers are shot. There are a couple of sources for them online, but they are expensive. I believe 40:1 fuel mix is correct for those. The older West Bend Elgins are 16:1.

I own several of the low profile 7.5/9 hp mccullochs. The waterpumps in them are good, the earlier ones are much more problematic.

Comment

It does have the low profile white plastic cowl and the F-N-R gear shifter on the front panel. And there is a nipple on the side. I could any help possible, like how to check and fill with what type of oil.

Comment

The only oil is in the lower unit. It takes 90 wt gear oil. There is a fill/drain plug toward the bottom, and a vent plug higher up. Remove the vent plug and drain plug to drain it, fill from that plug until it pours out the vent hole. If the motor got hot enough to stall, make sure it still has compression, and pull the lower unit to check the impeller. It is pretty straight forward except for the shift linkage is kind of hard to access.

Comment

I filled at the bottom until oil came out on top at the vent hole, correct? Nothing came out when I remove both screws. Didn't seem to take very much oil. Is there any where else oil is suppose to go? Since I don't know what year this motor is, what ratio of fuel/oil should I use, 40:1 or 16:1? I was using 50:1. That might be why the motor was stalling. I just read on another post for a 1961 is 24:1. It seems to have good compression still.

Comment

24-1 with tcw-3 oil. Water pump impellers are available on ebay.

Comment

I had one of those gems. Great little motor. Mine was a 64.Let me know if you need a copy of the repair manual I will send it to you.
                      Every day is a new day..... GO FISHING and take the wife or she gets mad....

1986 Durham 16 side counsel 35 Evin

Comment

You absolutely need to make sure the lower unit is full. The weedless lower you have does not hold a lot of lube and uses bushings.

Comment

I put the motor into a 55 gallon drum half full of water and it seems that the water pump is shot. I checked on eBay and there was no impellers available. Does anyone know of a site that will have the impellers to sell?

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOTT-McCULL...eRG4Sg&vxp=mtr Call them but this should be the one you need. There are 2 pumps in that motor when you replace the cooling impeller put one of the old ones back in to the bailer part..

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X