West Bend Shark fuel pump issues

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently came upon a West Bend shark, 18 hp model 18001. It is in great shape but wont run. It fires right up then immediately dies. I had rebuilt the fuel pump and soaked the carb in laquer thinner over night but to no avail. I decided to recheck the fuel pump so I pulled the line to the carburetor and pulled the rope but it did not appear to be pumping fuel even after a rebuild. I put my finger on the pulse hole and I felt nothing. Is it possible to loose the pulse on these motors or is it just so light it cant be felt? Any thoughts?

Captain Nino

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, the fuel pump was sucking air in from a loose hose. I fixed that and got it running but it sputters really bad. Occasionally it stops sputtering and pics up really well but then goes back to sputtering. I took a video so you can see what I mean. The air and fuel mixture dials are set as good as I can get them. The hose with the primer bulb is good. No fuel is leaking and pumping the primer bulb while running does not help. It is smoking but I have the fuel ratio mixed at 16/1.